How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr. T Your Own Question
Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 452
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Certified in A/C, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, and Driveablity (NVH)
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
Mr. T is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

yr 2000 dodge ram 1500 2wd V8 transmission will not shift out

This answer was rated:

yr 2000 dodge ram 1500 2wd V8 transmission will not shift out of 2end gear.Now if cold may take off,may not.On sterring colum gear selector fills funney mat pressure seliond?What do you think?Over 100,000k mi hauls heavy load most of the time.
HelloCustomer Thanks for using Just Answer. It does sound as though you have a valve body issue. Usually with the 1500's the first thing that goes out and that needs changed is the governor pressure switch/solenoid. If you havent had to replace this as of yet, you have been doing pretty good. To be sure, i would have a local chrysler dealership check out the transmission codes to be sure, as this would show up on their scan tools.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You.Were on the tran. is the governor pressure switch/solenoid located?

Inside the valve body. Here is a pic of the pressure sensor/ solenoid. I would make sure that you replace both parts.

Here are the removal instructions.

  • Hoist and support vehicle on safety stands.
  • Remove transmission fluid pan and filter.
  • Disengage wire connectors from pressure sensor and solenoid Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor
  • Remove screws holding pressure solenoid retainer to governor body.
  • Separate solenoid retainer from governor Pressure Solenoid Retainer
  • Pull solenoid from governor body Pressure Solenoid and O-ring
  • Pull pressure sensor from governor body.
  • Remove bolts holding governor body to valve body.
  • Separate governor body from valve body Governor Body and Gasket
  • Remove governor body gasket.
  • Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Mr. T


    *Dont forget to hit "accept" if this answer fulfilled your question*

    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

    One last thing,when i take vaule body out ,anything to watch four?you no, like springs and things that jump out,if not thank you for your help.

    You shouldnt need to take the valve body out to remove the governor pressure sensor and solenoid, so you wont have to worry about anything jumping out when you remove that. It is located on the bottom of the valve body.
    Mr. T and 4 other Dodge Specialists are ready to help you