Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

99 dodge: wagon..3rd gear..trans fluid..fluid pressure solinoid I…

why is my 99 dodge...
why is my 99 dodge ram wagon starting out in 3rd gear? I had an error code "trans fluid pressure solinoid" I have replaced all 3 solinoids and have the same problem. HELP
8/9/2009
Dodge Mechanic: Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech replied 13 years ago
Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech

HelloCustomer/p>

I can assist you with that question, but need a bit more information.

Exactly what code was present, and did you do any testing? Is that the only code present now?

p 0748. A local mechanic pulled the code for me. I have friends at the local dodge parts department and gave them the code and they told me to replace all the solenoids since I was dropping the pan.

While I applaud the parts department friends for attempting to help, remember that their job is to sell parts, not repair vehicles.With that being said, I have had to replace solenoids to fix that 0748, but just as often seen the wiring harnesses and PCM itself be the problem.

What exact model and engine do you have? If possible, I'd like to walk through the actual steps required to diagnose that code and get to the bottom of it.

1999 Dodge ram wagon 3500. 5.2l v8 gas w/4spd autoAlso, when I was test driving the van when I was buying it, I thought that the catalytic converter was clogged up and the trans may have been fine. The reason for this is that I own a 97 dodge ram van also and had the converter clog up on me and it was displaying similar symptoms as the 99 when I was driving it. I would give my 97 gas and it would just sort of bog and not really move. So, I took a gamble and and cut the exhaust pipes leading into the converter in an effort to let it breathe so I can get the van home after I had purchased it. This seemed to help but was not the entire problem. Anyhow, thats another reason the check engine light is on now. The code we pulled was before I cut the pipes. I dont have access to pull the codes that are present now.

That code can be set by a variety of reasons-the first being the fuse in the Power distribution center. Fuse17/18 =20 amp-that feeds the transmission control relay.

Reading through the troubleshooting chart, without a scan tool it is going to be a real challenge to diagnose this problem. However, let's start with the basics. Do you have a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter?

The next step, if the fuse is good, would be to check the relay.

Pull the relay, and flip it over. All the pins coming out of it should have number designations. We can bypass this relay if you give me those numbers, and we verify the voltage to the PDC cavities.graphic

No, but I may be able to get a test light later on. I have to leave and run some errands but will be sure to check back with you when I return. So, far I like the steps we are taking to solve my problem thank you and I will be talking to you soon. I HAD SENT THIS REPLY EARLIER, BUT IT SEEMS YOU NEVER GOT IT!! I APOLOGIZE FOR THE MISCOMMUNICATION AND I HAVE RECIEVED YOUR LATEST REPLY WITH THE DIAGRAM. HOWEVER, I HAVE TO CONTINUE THIS LATER BUT ASAP! SORRY AGAIN FOR THE MISCOMMUNICATION AND I WILL GET YOU THE NUMBERS FROM THE RELAY.

There are 5 pins. the top one is 3 the one under it is 5. then there are three along the bottom from left to right 2 4 1

Ok

But in order to proceed, a test light or voltmeter will be needed. The code indicates that there is no power to the Transmission pressure solenoid, so we HAVE to see if there is indeed power at least to the transmission wiring pass-thru (which themselves are a problem). The testing needs to be done to avoid replacing known good parts.

We need to make sure there is power on pin 3 of the relay first.

Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech
I appreciate your efforts in trying to help me! Thanks.