Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

changing the power steering pump on my 98 caravan. do I need

Customer Question

changing the power steering pump on my 98 caravan. do I need to undo the strut remove the lower ball joint and pull out the half shaft.... or is there an easier way??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 years ago.
Can you give me engine size?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

3.3 v6

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 years ago.

REMOVAL:

1. Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
  2. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
  3. Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
  4. Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  5. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness. Access to connection at vehicle wiring harness is through the oxygen sensor wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle. NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle. graphic
  6. Remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Then remove all the exhaust system hangers/isolators from the brackets on the exhaust system.
  7. Move the exhaust system as far rearward and to the left side of the vehicle as possible.
  8. Raise the heat sleeve on the power steering hoses to expose the hose to steel tube connection. Remove the hose from the power steering fluid return line on the front suspension cradle. Allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the pump and fluid reservoir through the removed return hose.graphic
  9. Remove the accessory drive splash shield.
  10. Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine.
  11. Remove the power steering fluid supply hose coming from the remote fluid reservoir, from the fitting on the power steering pump. Drain off excess power steering fluid from hose.

12. Remove the power steering fluid pressure line from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.

13. Remove the power steering fluid return hose from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  14. Remove the support bracket at the rear of the power steering pump attaching the pump to the rear of the engine
  15. Remove the 3 bolts mounting the power steering pump to the alternator/power steering pump and belt tensioner mounting bracket. graphic

16. Remove the power steering pump from its mounting bracket.

17. The power steering pump is removed from the vehicle by pulling it out through the exhaust tunnel area in the floor pan of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Now that my power steering me I have a problem with my pump has been replaced, my code reader is telling trouble with my rad fan relay..... just need to know where to find it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, thats a different question, in a different system. You will need to relist your new question.