Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2005 dodge ram 1500: 5.7 hemi..cold air..passenger side..drivers side

Customer Question
we have a 2005 dodge...
we have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi. for some reason there is no cold air on the passenger side of the vehicle. It is always hot. drivers side is cold though. it blows hot regardless of the setting ie. defrost, feet, etc.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/23/2009
Dodge Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

Hate to be the one to give you the bad news but the problem is with the blend air door in the heater and a/c box. Normally what happens is this door breaks and needs to be replaced. There is a chance it is just the actuator, but either way the dash has to come out to find out.

Okay we have pulled the dash apart already - is this the large box type apparatus on the bottom of all the passenger side stuff. Is it something we can replace ourselves.

If you have the dash out then you should be able to finish the job. I will attach information on the housing and the door.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service of the A/C evaporator, evaporator temperature sensor, mode-air and blend-air doors.

1. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. Refer to Heating and Air Conditioning/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Service and Repair
  2. Drain the engine cooling system. Refer to Engine, Cooling and Exhaust/ Cooling System/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Cooling System\Service and Repair
  3. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  4. Disconnect the A/C liquid line and the A/C accumulator from the A/C evaporator.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  6. Remove the powertrain control module (PCM) to gain access to the two nuts (3) that secure the HVAC housing (1) to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (2) and remove the nuts.

1. Remove the instrument panel from the passenger compartment. Refer to Body and Frame/ Interior Trim/ Dashboard / Instrument Panel/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair
  2. Remove the bolt (5) that secures the HVAC housing (4) to the floor bracket (6).
  3. Remove the two nuts (3 and 7) that secure the HVAC housing to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel (1).
  4. Pull the HVAC housing assembly rearward and remove the housing assembly from the passenger compartment.
  5. If required, remove the fresh air inlet (2) from the dash panel(1).

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service of the A/C evaporator, evaporator temperature sensor, mode-air and blend-air doors.

1. If removed, install the fresh air inlet (2) onto the dash panel (1).
  2. Position the HVAC housing assembly (4) into the passenger compartment with the mounting studs and the condensate drain tube in their proper locations in the dash panel.
  3. Install the two nuts (3 and 7) that secure the HVAC housing to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 6.2 N.m (55 in.lbs.) .
  4. Install the bolt (5) that secures the HVAC housing to the floor bracket (6). Tighten the bolt to 6.2 N.m (55 in.lbs.) .
  5. Install the instrument panel. Refer to Body and Frame/ Interior Trim/ Dashboard / Instrument Panel/ Service and Repair/ Procedures. See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair

1. Install the two nuts (3) that secure the HVAC housing (1) to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (2). Tighten the nuts to 6.2 N.m (55 in.lbs.) .
  2. Install the powertrain control module (PCM).
  3. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes.
  4. Connect the A/C liquid line and the A/C accumulator to the A/C evaporator.
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  6. If the heater core is being replaced, flush the cooling system.
  7. Refill the engine cooling system.
  8. Evacuate the refrigerant system.
  9. Charge the refrigerant system.

REMOVAL

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
  3. Remove the passenger side cowl trim panel.
  4. If equipped with dash mounted audio amplifier~ remove the instrument panel assembly.
  5. Remove the two screws (1) that secure the recirculation door actuator (2) to the inboard side of the HVAC air inlet housing (3).
  6. Remove the recirculation door actuator from the air inlet housing and disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector (4) from the actuator.

1. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness lead (1) from the blower motor (2).
  2. Remove the HVAC wire harness lead from the two wire harness retainers (3).
  3. Remove the three screws (4) that secure the blower motor to the bottom of the HVAC housing (5) and remove the blower motor.

1. NOTE: Illustration shown with air inlet housing removed from the IIVAC housing for clarity.
  2. NOTE: The actuator coupler is retained to the recirculation-air door by three integral retaining tabs located inside of the air inlet housing.
  3. Using pliers carefully pull the actuator coupler (3) located on the inboard side of the air inlet housing (2) straight out of the pivot shafi of the recirculation-air door (1).
  4. Reach up through the blower motor opening in the bottom of the HVAC housing and remove the recirculation-air door from the air inlet housing. Rotate and tilt the air door as required for removal. INSTALLATION

NOTE: If the seals on the air door are deformed or damaged, the air door must be replaced.

NOTE: Illustration shown with air inlet housing removed from the IIVAC housing for clarity.

CAUTION: Make sure that the recirculation-air door pivot shaft is properly seated in the pivot seat located in the air inlet housing.

1. Reach up through the blower motor opening in the bottom of the HVAC housing and position the recirculation-air door (1) into the air inlet housing (2). Rotate and tilt the air door as required. Make sure the end of the recirculation-air door pivot shafi that accepts the actuator coupler (3) is located at the inboard side of the air inlet housing. CAUTION: Make sure the actuator coupler is correctly aligned with the notch in the recirculation-air door pivot shaft and is properly engaged to the air inlet housing.
  2. Align the actuator coupler (3) with the notch in the recirculation-air door pivot shafi and install the coupler. Make sure coupler retaining tabs are fully engaged to the inside of the air inlet housing and that the coupler arm is located between the two stop tabs on side of the housing.

1. Install the recirculation door actuator (1) onto the side of the HVAC air inlet housing (2). If necessary rotate the actuator slightly to align the splines on the actuator output shaft (3) with those in the recirculation door actuator coupler (4).

1. Install the two screws (1) that secure the recirculation door actuator (2) to the air inlet housing (3). Tighten the screws to 1.1 Nm (10 in. lbs.).
  2. Connect the HVAC wire harness connector (4) to the recirculation door actuator.

1. Position the blower motor (2) into the bottom of the HVAC housing (5).
  2. Install the three screws (4) that secure the blower motor to the HVAC housing. Tighten the screws to 1.7 Nm (15 in. lbs.).
  3. Connect the HVAC wire harness lead (1) to the blower motor and install the wire harness lead into the two wire harness retainers (3).
  4. If equipped with dash mounted audio amplifier install the instrument panel assembly.
  5. Install the passenger side cowl trim panel.
  6. Install the glove box.
  7. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Do we have to do anything with the refrigerant? Can we just open that housing and replace the door? We understand the directions, but arent sure if recovering the refrigerant and disconnecting the airbags are necessary for that door.

If the battery is disconnected that is all that needs to be done for the air bag system.

The a/c will need to be evacuated before you can get the housing out. Then will need to be recharged after the repair.

brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician