Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge Caravan: I have a visible hole in the AC condenser, i..diagrams…

Customer Question
Hi, i have 2 questions...
Hi, i have 2 questions about my Dodge Caravan 2000.

1. I have a visible hole in the AC condenser, i have bought a new one online just now, but would like to know how to remove and replace it with some diagrams if possible. I did a search in your archive and found a similar article but it was for a 2001 model. (are there any concerns when i do the work, like do i need to drain the engine oil of water, because i think i need to work around those coolers also)

2. There is a power steering fluid leak, it's not overfilled and spilled out, it definitely is a leak because i have to keep filling the reservior up. How do i check to see where the leak is and how do i replace the pump if that is what the problem is. Any other pointers where the leak could be coming from.

Thanks so much, Steve.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/23/2009
Dodge Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

1. Here is the information on the condenser.

REMOVAL

1. Recover A/C system refrigerant.

Liquid Line

1. Remove liquid line at filter-drier.

Filter Drier

1. Remove bolts attaching filter-drier to radiator module.
  2. Remove upper radiator crossmember.
  3. Tilt radiator rearward.

Upper Discharge Line

1. Remove upper discharge line at condenser.
  2. Through fascia, remove lower liquid line from filter-drier.
  3. Remove lower condenser mounting bolts.
  4. Remove upper mounting bolts.

Condenser Removal

1. Remove condenser from vehicle.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: Inspect Cooling Module for presence of seals. Verify seals are available for re-installation.

1. Before installation, replace all O-rings and gaskets, coat all sealing surfaces with approved wax-free refrigerant oil. Then, reverse the above procedures.
  2. Torque the following components to specifications:
    • Liquid line at filter/drier - 45 in. lbs. ±10 .
    • Upper discharge line at condenser - 180 in. lbs. ±20
    • Lower liquid line to condenser - 180 in. lbs. ±20 .
  1. lower, condenser mounting bolts - 45 in. lbs. ±10 .
  1. upper, condenser mounting bolts - 45 in. lbs. ±10 .
    • Turbo fitting - 65 in. lbs. ±5 .
  1. Evacuate and charge system.

2. Need to clean up the fluid and have a person turn the wheel to the far right or left with the engine running as this is when the pressure will be the greatest and see where it is coming from. If the pump.....see attached information.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
  2. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
  3. Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
  4. Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  5. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness. Access to connection at vehicle wiring harness is through the oxygen sensor wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle. NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.
  6. Remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Then remove all the exhaust system hangers/isolators from the brackets on the exhaust system.

1. Move the exhaust system as far rearward and to the left side of the vehicle as possible.

1. Raise the heat sleeve on the power steering hoses to expose the hose to steel tube connection. Remove the hose from the power steering fluid return line on the front suspension cradle. Allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the pump and fluid reservoir through the removed return hose.

1. Remove the accessory drive splash shield.

1. Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine.

1. Remove the power steering fluid supply hose coming from the remote fluid reservoir, from the fit tiny on the power steering pump. Drain off excess power steering fluid from hose.
  2. Remove the power steering fluid pressure line from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  3. Remove the power steering fluid return hose from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.

1. Remove the support bracket at the rear of the power steering pump attaching the pump to the rear of the engine.

1. Remove the 3 bolts mounting the power steering pump to the alternator/power steering pump and belt tensioner mounting bracket.
  2. Remove the power steering pump from its mounting bracket.
  3. The power steering pump is removed from the vehicle by pulling it out through the exhaust tunnel area in the floor pan of the vehicle.
  4. If transferal of the power steering pump pulley is necessary, refer to Disassembly and Assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Install power steering pump back in vehicle using the reverse order of its removal through the exhaust tunnel are of the vehicle.
  2. Install the power steering pump on its mounting bracket. Install the 3 power steering pump mounting bolts. Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to a torque of 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) .
  3. Install the support bracket attaching rear of power steering pump to engine. Tighten the nut and bolt holding the strut assembly to bracket and the intake manifold stud to a torque of 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) . NOTE: Before installing power steering pressure hose on power steering pump, inspect the O-ring on the power steering pressure hose for damage and replace if required.
  4. Install the power steering fluid pressure line onto the output fitting of the power steering pump. Tighten the pressure line to pump fitting tube nut to a torque of 31 Nm (276 inch lbs.) .
  5. Install the power steering fluid, low pressure return hose on the power steering pump low pressure fitting. Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
  6. Install the power steering fluid supply hose from the power steering fluid reservoir, on the power steering pump fluid fitting. Be sure hose is clear of accessory drive belts and all hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
  7. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  8. Install the power steering fluid return hose on the steel tube at the front suspension cradle.
  9. Install a screw type hose clamp on the power steering hose to steel tube connection. Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled. Tighten the screw clamp to a torque of 2 Nm (18 inch lbs.) . CAUTION: The protective heat shield sleeves must cover the entire rubber hose and hose to tube connection portion of both the power steering fluid pressure and return hoses. This is required to keep the power steering hoses from becoming overheated.
  10. When used, properly position the protective heat sleeves on the power steering hoses. Then, tie strap the heat sleeves to the power steering hoses to keep them in their proper position.
  11. Install the exhaust pipe on the exhaust manifold. Install all exhaust system hangers/isolators on the exhaust system brackets.
  12. Connect the oxygen sensor wiring harness to the vehicle wiring harness. Install wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle.
  13. Install the accessory drive splash shield.
  14. Lower vehicle.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable on the negative battery post.
  16. Perform the POWER STEERING PUMP INITIAL OPERATION service procedure to properly fill and bleed the power steering system. See: Initial Operation
  17. Inspect for leaks.

brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Hi, i had a question answered 2 weeks ago about my Dodge, when i come to view the question now, i can see the instruction but the links to the diagrams look broken... this is what i really need to be able to do it.

see http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2c0um-hi-2-questions-dodge-caravan?L=T

I will send again. Let me know if you get them.

REMOVAL

1. Recover A/C system refrigerant.

Liquid Line

1. Remove liquid line at filter-drier.

Filter Drier

2. Remove upper radiator crossmember.
  3. Tilt radiator rearward.

Upper Discharge Line

4. Remove upper mounting bolts.

Condenser Removal

1. Remove condenser from vehicle.

INSTALLATION

• Turbo fitting - 65 in. lbs. ±5 .
  1. Evacuate and charge system.

REMOVAL

INSTALLATION

7. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  14. Lower vehicle.
  17. Inspect for leaks.

perfect, Thanks!!

Your welcome.

Good Luck,

JB

brownjeff - sorry to be a pain, but apparently they couldn't re-charge the system because i also need to change the receiver drier. Is it as simple as just unscrewing the lines and replacing the unit. I just wanted to make sure nothing was pressured and it didn't blow up in my face.
Yes, just unscrew the lines and replace it as long as there is not freon in the system there wont be any pressure.
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician