Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1998 dodge durango: battery cable..second gear..pressure sensor

Customer Question
I have a 1998 dodge...
I have a 1998 dodge durango and it won't shift pass first, unless I pull the battery cable and then it will start out in second gear and shift out like normal. after shutting it off it reverts back to being in first and not shifting to second again. I talked to dodge and they sold me the governor pressure sensor and it's still doing this. Could it be the transducer is bad?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/18/2009
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What was the piece you replaced? Was it the metal can that points straight down on the governor body, or was it the piece that points forward off the side of the governor body?

I assume you've had it scanned correct? Do you remember what codes are set?

It was the one that points up and down
Ok. That's the governor pressure solenoid. It's the part that actually allows fluid pressure into the governor circuit based on the signal from the governor transducer (pressure sensor). The transducer is the one that points forward. It's very likely your problem. Sometimes it will set a code, sometimes it won't. In your case it sounds like it is setting a code since disconnecting the battery makes a difference. It would be best to get a scan tool or code reader on it and see what codes are stored before spending any more money, but it does sound like you've probably got a transducer issue.
the code is p1762 and I replaced the solenoid part #4617210
Ok great. That does sound like a transducer problem. There's an outside chance of a shorted oxygen sensor contributing to that code though. The sensors are on the same 5v reference circuit and an internally shorted oxygen sensor can cause this problem without setting an oxygen sensor code. Slide under it and check out the wiring to both sensors. If it's ok, unplug both sensors. If the problem is still there replace the transducer. If you can get definite results from unplugging one of the oxygen sensors replace it.
those are the oxygen sensors for the exhaust system?
Yes. If you don't have California emissions you just have two oxygen sensors. They are both mounted in the exhaust pipe. (If you have California they are still in the pipes but there will be more sensors) In the Federal emissions model you will have one sensor either in the pipe just in front of the catalytic converter or screwed right into the front of the converter. The other sensor will be on the pipe after the converter.
Well now that you mention it recently the exhaust came unconnected just after the cat so I wonder if I should replace that sensor, or is there a way to test that sensor? I'm hitting accept btw you've been very helpful! More so then my local dodge dealer.
Check out the wiring to the sensor. Make sure there isn't any damage to it. Make sure it's not melted together or rubbed through anywhere. If it's ok, then unplug the sensor and go drive it. If it shifts ok with the sensor unplugged replace it. Other than that you would need a scan tool to test it. You'd have to monitor the voltage being produced by the sensor. Unplugging it is a cheap easy test.
sprinkles08
Thanks so much I will give it a shot, I'm sure with my luck I need to open the trans again haha. It's nice to have some expert input on this and I'm very happy with the responce and answers!

You're welcome, and good luck!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08