sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

06 Dodge Ram trailer light problem

06 Dodge Ram trailer light problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What kind of problems are you having with your trailer lights?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
left turning signal works on the truck but does not work at the trailer plug the yellow wire ahead of the trailer plug is dead
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok great. The first thing you'll want to do is disconnect the battery and then check and see if the turn signal works.

The lighitng on your truck is controlled by the TIPM, the fuse box/module under the hood. When it sees a high current draw in one of the circuits it will disable that circuit and set a trouble code. When it does this it will disable that circuit until the code is cleared.

If the battery disconnect fixes the problem you'll want to see a dealer. The software in the TIPM was revised to be more tolerant of this problem and not disable the circuits so easily.

If a battery disconnect doesn't bring the lights back you either have a wire between the TIPM and the trailer connector that is broken, or the driver circuit in the TIPM is burnt out. In that case we can do some electrical testing with a test light if you're up for it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will unhook battery and be right back to let you know.
Sounds great. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I unhooked battery and hooked it back up and it still does not work.

Ok. The next place we should go is a junction connector just forward of the driver's door. Slide underneath the truck and look at the area where the floor pan starts to curve up to the firewall, outboard of the left frame rail. You will see a large junction connector there. This area will sometimes show some damage from road debris. The wires can be cut, and they can also be corroded inside. All it takes is a pinhole from a rock in the wire and the moisture will eat it from the inside out. Grab your test light, check for power on the front side of the connector on the yellow wire in pin 2 of the connector. It will be next to the green wire which is the right turn signal. If you have power on the front side, check for power on the back. This will ensure we have power through the connector, no damage inside. If there is power this far, you've got a problem from there to the back. In that case you could look for the break, or run a new wire.

If you don't have power at that connector, the next thing we'll have to do is pull the fuse box up and test for power right there. Let me know how it goes and we'll pull the fuse box up if we need to.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did check there and there is not power.

Ok. Pull the fuse box up. Find pin 18 in connector 3, the same yellow wire. if you have power there, the wire is broken between the box and that connector down there. If you have no power, the TIPM is bad.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks I'll be right back to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sprinkles 08 has been great. One more question. Can't figure out how to know connector 3 and which is pin 18.

Here is the diagram for the connnector locations again.

graphic

Here is a pinout of connector three to help you find the wire.

graphic