Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2007 dodge ram 4x4 and the word gas cap flashes where

my odometer reads. I hooked...
I have a 2007 dodge ram 4x4 and the word gas cap flashes where my odometer reads. I hooked a scanner to the truck and it claims a small evaporated leak, now it hesitates when I am accelerating but then is fine above 50km/h.
5/16/2009
mtech02
mtech02, Dodge Technician

there is a Technical Service Bulliten on that condition the TSB 25-003-07 your local dealership can take care of this for you

SUBJECT:

DTC P0456 - Evaporative System Small Leak Due To Loose Charcoal From Canister

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves performing the diagnostic procedure for DTC P0456, and if

necessary, the replacement of evaporative system components.

MODELS:

2007 (DR/DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500)

2007 (HB/HG) Durango/Aspen

2007 (WK) Grand Cherokee

2007 (XK) Commander

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle built on or between January 26, 2007 and

June 18, 2007 (MDH 0126XX to MDH 0618XX respectively).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Additional

investigation may reveal that the MIL is due to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0456 -

Evaporative System Small Leak.

Is this something I can fix or does it have to go to the dealership as I have no warranty?

ok then, here is the repair procedure it involves replaceing the the esim to reinstall just reverse the removal process

SUBJECT:

OVERVIEW:

MODELS:

2007 (HB/HG) Durango/Aspen

2007 (WK) Grand Cherokee

2007 (XK) Commander

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Evaporative System Small Leak.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Was vehicle built (check vehicle build date) on or between January 26, 2007

(MDH 0126XX) and June 18, 2007 (MDH 0618XX)?

a. If YES >>> then proceed to the next step.

b. If NO >>> then STOP. This bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis is required.

2. Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available

in TechCONNECT > Service Info tab > 9 - Engine - Electrical Diagnosis > Diagnosis

and Testing, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other than

those listed above are present record them on the repair order and repair as

necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

3. Perform the complete Diagnostic Procedures for DTC P0456 - Evaporative

System Small Leak.

NOTE: Make sure that the flow and smoke tests are performed completely.

NUMBER: 25-003-07

GROUP: Emissions

DATE: November 14, 2007

4. Was an evaporative system leak detected when a complete DTC P0456 Diagnostic

Procedure was performed.

b. If NO >>> then perform the Repair Procedure.

5. Was the root cause of the leak in the evaporative system a leaking Evaporative

System Integrity Module (ESIM)?

a. If YES >>> then perform the Repair Procedure.

b. If NO >>> then STOP. This bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis and/or repair

is required.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

IF DR - Ram Truck (1500) w/26 GALLON FUEL TANK

1 55398669AB Canister, Fuel Vapor (includes: Seal and ESIM)

1 55398232AA Hose, Evap Fresh Air

1 04891994AA Filter, Evap Fresh Air

IF DR - RAM TRUCK (1500) w/34 or 35 GALLON FUEL TANK

1 04891723AB Canister, Fuel Vapor (includes: Seal and ESIM)

1 55398159AA Hose, Evap Fresh Air

1 04891994AA Filter, Evap Fresh Air

IF DH/D1/DC - 2500 or 3500

1 04891726AB Canister, Fuel Vapor (includes: Seal and ESIM) - All

1 52121718AB Hose, Evap Fresh Air - DH/D1

1 52121681AA Hose, Evap Fresh Air - DC

1 04891994AA Filter, Evap Fresh Air - All

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

8404A Evaporative Emissions Leak Detector (EELD)

8404-14 Service Port

8404-ADP Service Adapter - Filter Line

8404-UVL Ultraviolet (UV) Black Light

8404-CCL White Light

8404-20 Protective Yellow Goggles

8382 Gas Cap Adapter (1/4 turn cap)

6922 Gas Cap Adapter (Screw On Cap)

8399 Secondary Seal Depressor

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Replace the following emission system components:

a. Fuel Vapor Canister (with ESIM).

b. Fresh Air Fuel Vapor Filter.

c. Fresh Air Filter to Fuel Vapor Canister Hose.

2. REMOVAL

The ESIM (EVAP System Integrity Monitor) switch is attached to the Evap canister and is usually not serviceable. Replace the switch by replacing the Evap canister. See Evap canister removal/installation.

If servicing separately, refer to the following:

The ESIM switch (2) is located on the Evap canister (1) The picture displays a typical Evap Canister and a typical ESIM switch. graphic

1.

Remove both plastic lines from switch by folding line tabs (2).

graphic

2.

Disconnect electrical connector at switch.

3.

Clean any dirt from ESIM switch and its lines.

4.

A lock tab (see arrow) is used on the back of the switch. Push lock tab towards switch while rotating switch counterclockwise 1/4 turn for removal.

5.

The fresh air lines and hoses from the ESIM must have a clear opening to the atmosphere. Check the fresh air lines, including the fresh air filter, for obstructions or restrictions at the ESIM. Also check the routing to the exit to atmosphere. If a restriction is present, the system will not allow free flow passage of clean air, and an early shut off of the fuel fill nozzle may occur during fuel fill.

mtech02
mtech02, Dodge Technician
mtech02
mtech02
mtech02, Dodge Technician