Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2001 Dodge Caravan A/C fan nonfunctional. Fuse good. A/C clutch

working, compressor working. No output...
2001 Dodge Caravan A/C fan nonfunctional. Fuse good. A/C clutch working, compressor working. No output from blower fan. What is the problem (90K, California car).
4/20/2009
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Are you having problems with the blower in the cabin or the Condensor fan on the radiator?

In the cabin. All other parts of the A/C system appear to be working, just no output from cabin blower up front. If not on recurculate and driving, a trickle of cold air can be felt coming through the A/C vents.

OK then the blower resistor is behind the glove compartment and is usuall the source of the problem but you normally will have blower function on high. If you have no blower on any speed the blower motor itself may have failed.

Do you have a testlight or voltmeter to check the blower with?

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Yes. I have both. Not sure how to test the blower motor (my thought also, but usually the go intermitent before all out failure). I hopw accepting this answer is not the end of your help. John
Again, how do I test the blower motor with the tools you requested I answer ? John

Never the end until you are satisfied with the solution,

Behind the glove compartment (squeeze the sides and let the cover hang down) the blower resistor and blower pigtail are in the HVAC box. back probe the two pin blower pigtail connector with the key on and the blower switch on high to see if power is present If it does have power you will need the blower motor which means the dash board will have to be rolled back to access it. If you do not have power there the blower resistor is likely the culprit

graphic

Before you go through all that swap the front and rear blower relays in the underhood power center and see if you have power to the blower then

graphic

Let me know what you find

Now that is what I call an answer !

Does the glove box door come off when I do as you said or just hang down more so that I gain access ?

It only hangs down but does swapping the relay allow the blower to work? You do not have to go behind the glove compartment if it does.

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

The relay swap is an outstanding idea ! The van is with my wife and I will be checking everything tonight when I get home. I am now 100% happy with your answers and help.

How do I leave positive feedback and how do I contact you after I try the relay swap, pin out for power (incase I need to ask you how to pull the dash to replace the motor) ?

Have you been paid now ? I would like to leave a bonus. Thank You, John

You found the best way to leave feedback and I thank you very much for that.

I am very happy with what you have paid and if you need further help just login and you will see this question. If you cannot post to it start a new question and put "George H" in the first line. I will see it and get you back to this question

Thanks again and let me know how it turns out and what I can do to help

George, I think I "Accepted" and then went back and tried to leave a bonus for a total of $30.00, and not the $ 15.00 suggested (as I was so pleased with your thinking and understanding). BTW, I did the relay swap and unfortunately the problem did not move with the relay. I will pin out the 12 V supply to the motor and check for power as you suggested (the glove box was sooo easy ! what a surprise) and also supply 12 V direect to the motor to see if it will spin (while disconected from the rest of the system). Again, please let me know if I did this correctly for you as this is my first time doing this. Computers and the www are a bit for us older folks.

PS If you need any help setting the timing on a Model A Ford, just ask ! John.

Your page shows that you paid the suggested $15 for the question and $15 for a bonus. Thank you very much!!

Let me know what you find with the motor when you run it I have my fingers crossed that you will be able to put a blower resistor in and be done you don't want to pull the dashboard. Its tougher than rebuilding one of Henry's children!!!

Let me know what you find, thanks!

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician