Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2004 dodge dakota: 3.7L..v6..the oil pump, the oil pressure sensor

Customer Question
I have a 2004 dodge...
I have a 2004 dodge dakota, 3.7L v6 113000 miles. Having trouble with the oil pressure dropping and rising. I have changed the oil pick up tube, the oil pump, the oil pressure sensor (twice). I checked the harness with an OM tester and its working i jumped the harness to be sure. I had to replace a valve covers gasket and I have sign of clean oil. I replaced the gaskets. the warning light remains off until throttled. It runs quiet with no chatter.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/30/2009
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 8 years ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Ok, what you will need to do is attach a mechanical gauge in place of the sending unit and see what your actual pressure readings are at idle, and at 2500.

Let me know what the readings are.

sorry should have told you that. they fluaxuate between 20-54 and then drop to zero.
This is checking it with a separate mechanical gauge.....not the one on the dash?
correct. I connected it where the pressure sensor switch goes as the chilton book instructions. I can't find the connector on the back of the block.

Ok, if you are losing oil pressure then you are going to have to open this up again. You can use low pressure compressed air fed into the sending unit hole in the block to look for places where there may be excessive leakage of oil pressure........worn bearings etc.

You'll need to drop the pan again to see where the pressure may be leaking from and you may as well check the bearings while you are in there.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician