Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I had a diagnostic done on my 05 dodge dakota and it came up

with 2 codes that no...
I had a diagnostic done on my 05 dodge dakota and it came up with 2 codes that no one can help me with. p1776 and p0700
3/20/2009
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician

P1776-SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE LATCHED IN LR POSITION

For the Transmission circuit diagram (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - SCHEMATICS AND DIAGRAMS)

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

• When Monitored:

Every 7 ms when doing PEMCC or FEMCC.

• Set Condition:

Must be in partial or full EMCC. The DTC is set if L/R pressure is detected high for the fourth time.

Possible Causes
RELATED DTC P0841 PRESENT
DTC EVENT DATA SHOWS TRS CODE TR2 - SHIFT LEVER OR MANUAL CONTROL VALVE IN A INVALID POSITION
SHIFTER CABLE OUT OF ADJUSTMENT
SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE STICKING IN ITS BORE
(T16) TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
(T50) L/R PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
(T50) L/R PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
(T50) L/R PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
VALVE BODY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

Theory of Operation

The Solenoid Switch Valve, an internal, hydraulically operated valve, controls the direction of the transmission fluid when the L/R solenoid is energized. When the solenoid switch valve is in the downshifted position and the L/R solenoid is energized, fluid is directed to the L/R element for 1st gear. When the solenoid switch valve is In the up-shifted position (2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear) and the L/R solenoid is energized, fluid is directed into the Lockup Switch Valve which controls the Torque Converter Clutch. When doing PEMCC or FEMCC, the L/R pressure switch should indicate no pressure if the solenoid switch valve is in the LU position. If the L/R pressure switch indicates pressure for some time while in partial or full EMCC, the EMCC operation is aborted and momentarily inhibited to avoid accidental application of the L/R clutch. EMCC is attempted again when there is no L/R pressure. The fourth detection of L/R pressure while in PEMCC or FEMCC will result in setting the DTC.Torque converter EMCC operation inhibited. MIL on after 5 min. of substituted operation.

Diagnostic Test

1. DETERMINING IF RELATED DTC'S ARE PRESENT

With the scan tool, check for other Transmission DTC's

Is the DTC P0841 present also?

Yes
  • Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure.
  • Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1.

No
  • Go To 2

2. CHECK THE DTC EVENT DATA FOR TRS CODE TR2

With the scan tool, check the DTC EVENT DATA for P1776.

Does the DTC EVENT DATA show a TRS Code of TR2?

Yes
  • This indicates the shift lever and the manual control valve were in an invalid position between Neutral and OD. Check the shifter cable for: proper adjustment, binding, friction, improper routing, or the shifter was moved in transit. Repair as necessary.

No
  • Go To3

3. CHECK TO SEE IF DTC P1776 IS CURRENT

With the scan tool, check the STARTS SINCE SET counter for P1776.

NOTE: This counter only applies to the last DTC set.

Is the status Active or is the STARTS SINCE SET counter 2 or less for this DTC?

Yes
  • Go To 4

No
  • Go To 9

4. CHECK THE PCM AND WIRING USING THE TRANSMISSION SIMULATOR

Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Starter Relay.

CAUTION: Removal of the Starter Relay is to prevent a Transmission, NO RESPONSE, condition and disable the starter.

Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333 and the Electronic Transmission Adapter kit 8333-1A.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the Transmission Simulator, turn the Pressure Switch selector switch to L/R.
With the scan tool, monitor the L/R Pressure Switch State while pressing the Pressure Switch Test button.

Did the Pressure Switch state change from open to closed when the test button was pressed?

Yes
  • Go To 5

No
  • Go To 6

5. CHECK THE SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE FOR STICKING

Remove the transmission oil pan and Valve body and inspect the Solenoid Switch Valve for sticking in its bore, repair or replace as necessary.

NOTE: This DTC may be caused by debris lodged in the Transmission Solenoid Switch Valve bore. If debris is found, clean the valve body and reassemble the transmission per the Service Information.

With the scan tool, record the DTC EVENT DATA for P1776 and erase DTCs.
Reassemble the transmission and test drive the vehicle. Try to duplicate the original set conditions using the DTC EVENT DATA recorded earlier.
With the scan tool, check Transmission DTCs.

Did the DTC P1776 reset?

Yes
  • Replace the Transmission Solenoid Assembly per the Service Information.

No
  • Test Complete

6. CHECK THE (T50) L/R PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Disconnect the PCM C4 harness connector.
Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly harness connector.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (T50) L/R Pressure Switch Sense circuit betweem the appropriate terminal of Miller tool #8815 and the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly harness connector.

Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

Yes
  • Repair the (T50) L/R Pressure Switch Sense circuit for an open.

No
  • Go To 7

7. CHECK THE (T50) L/R PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (T50) L/R Pressure Switch Sense circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes
  • Repair the (T50) L/R Pressure Switch Sense circuit for a short to ground.

No
  • Go To 8

8. CHECK THE (T50) L/R PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

Remove the Transmission Control Relay.
Connect a jumper wire between the (Internal) Fused B+ circuit and (T16) Transmission Control Relay Output circuit in the Transmission Control Relay connector.
Ignition on, engine not running.
Measure the voltage of the (T50) L/R Pressure Switch Sense circuit.

Is the voltage above 0.5 volts?

Yes
  • Repair the (T50) L/R Pressure Switch Sense circuit for a short to voltage.

No
  • Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. Check for Service Information Tune-ups or Service Bulletins for any possible causes that may apply. If no problems are found, replace the PCM per the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN.

9. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Test Drive the vehicle and verify if the transmission is launching in 2nd gear and/or there is no TCC engagement.
With the scan tool, check the EATX EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.
Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Service Bulletins for possible causes that may apply.

Are there 2nd gear launches and/or no TCC engagement?

Yes
  • Disassemble and inspect the Valve Body per the Service Information Inspect the Solenoid Switch Valve for sticking in its bore and repair or replace as necessary.

No
  • Test Complete.
The p0700 code just means that there is a trans code that is stored. that is what the other code is.
Do you have any idea of the cost to fix the solenoid or whatever
Most likely it is the soleniod that is bad and this repair is about 300 to 400 hundred dollars to repair.
so definately not a do it yourself?...thank you for your help
No this is something you will need to have done by a trans tech.
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
moparfl
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician