Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

feeling alot of bumps while driving,what causes this

feeling alot of bumps while driving,what causes this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Hello!
    We need a litle more information to be able to offer any advice...
   First, what is the make, model, year, and engine size of the car?
   Can you describe the symptoms a little more; for example are you feeling bumps in the road more than when the car was new, or is the car jerking/ hesitating/ running abnormally; if so under what conditions do you notice this?    Any further details you can provide may be helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WHEN THE ROAD IS SMOOTH ,THE RIDE IS SMOOTH,BUT IF THE ROAD IS RUGGED,I FEEL THAT I ALMOST FEEL EVERY BUMP ON THE ROAD AT TIMES.IT IS A 1997 2500 DODGE RAM,I BELIEVE THE ENGINE SIZE IS 5.9. DO YOU THINK SHOCKS ARE NEEDED?
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
   If youa re feeling a lot of road vibration coming through that you did not get when the truck was newer, then there are two likely causes.
   Worn shocks is one of them, as you suspect.   At this age it would be unusual to not have some degree of loss of gas charge in the shocks, and you may even have one that is dead.   Often you cannot tell that a shock is dead on one of these trucks untill you remove it from the truck and try to compress it by hand.   The old fashioned bounce test doesnt work well on this model because the suspension/ springs are so stiff.
   Another thing to check is your tires.   If you ahve a heavy truck tire, such as a 6 or 8 ply, it will ahve very heavy sidewall construction.   Since the sidewalls of the tires are the first component that flexes to absorb road surface impacts, a heavy LT tire will transmit more vibration through to the driver than a P-series tire will.      Also, if the tires are overinflated it will have the same effect because air pressure also alters the ability of the sidewalls to flex.