Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, ASE Certified Assistant Service Mgr
Experience:  ASE Certified, over 10 years experience
10675526

The windshield wipers will not go off..slow speed

The windshield wipers will not go off. I replaced the switch because the wipers only worked at one slow speed. The switch finally did not work at all. I replace the new switch with anonther new wiper switch, just in case the new switch was faulty. The wiper will only trun off when I pull the fuse. The van is a 1996 chrysler town and country.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you.

This is a common problem on the Town and Country. There is a technical service bulletin related to this issue. I have included the bulletin below. I believe that you are experiencing condition #1 and #2 in the information below.

Condition #1 requires replacement of the wiper switch. I know that you have already done this, but make sure that you have installed the updated wiper switch according to the technical service bulletin.

Condition #2 requires replacement of the Power Distribution Center.

NO: 08-31-98 Rev. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: Jul. 24, 1998

SUBJECT:

Front Windshield Wipers Self-Activate While Driving Or Will Not Turn Off

NOTE :THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-31-98, DATED JUNE 26, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THE REVISIONS INCLUDE, REVISED SYMPTOM/CONDITION ONE, DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR PROCEDURES FOR SYMPTOM TWO AND THREE, AND PARTS REQUIRED. REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

MODELS:

1996-1997 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager 1996-1997 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

1.Windshield wipers will turn on while the windshield wiper switch is in the "OFF" position for one or more wipes **with the ignition "ON",** or when the turn signal and/or headlamp beam select is actuated.

2.Windshield wipers will not turn off with the ignition switch "ON" or OFF and the 4lTE transaxle may go into limp-in mode when the windshield wipers are turned "ON".

3.Windshield wipers stop immediately (instead of parking fully down) when the switch is turned "OFF" or continue to wipe for approximately 10 seconds after being turned "OFF" and then stop wherever they are (instead of parking fully down) either by using the windshield wiper switch or the ignition switch.

NOTE :IF THE WIPE OCCURS AT VEHICLE START UP ONLY, MAKE SURE THE IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD) FUSE IS FULLY SEATED.

graphic

PARTS REQUIRED:

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No:

08-80-87-93 Replace Multi-function Switch 0.4 Hrs. 08-89-01-92 Replace PDC 0.4 Hrs. 08-52-80-91 Replace Wiper Motor 0.9 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part

Labor Operation No:

08-90-06-91 Tighten Nut For Ground Eyelets 0.2 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: 83 - Connection Loose

Here are the repair procedures for the conditions: (Note: I outlined these above)

SYMPTOM ONE

1.Remove the top and bottom steering column covers.

2.Remove the two multi-function switch attaching screws and save.

3.Pull/slide the multi-function switch out from the mounting housing and disconnect the wiring harness.

4.Connect the wiring harness to a new multi-function switch, p/n O5O12382AA.

5.Position the new multi-function switch into the mounting housing and secure with the two screws previously removed in step 2.

6.Verify the multi-function switch has been installed properly by putting the switch lever into the left or right turn signal position and turning the steering wheel to ensure cancellation occurs.

7.Install the top and bottom steering column shrouds.

SYMPTOM TWO

1.Make sure the ground eyelets are placed properly on the stud and the nut holding the eyelets and the dipstick tube is tightened securely.

2.If there was no continuity between the ground wire eyelet wiring connector on the bottom of the PDC, locate the open in the circuit and repair it.

3.If there was no continuity between the PDC connector to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "0N" relay, replace the PDC. Be sure to install the PDC cover properly.

SYMPTOM THREE

1.If there is no continuity between the BCM connector and cavity the wiper module wiring connector as described in the Diagnosis, locate the open in the circuit and repair it.

2.If there is no continuity between cavity wiper module wiring connector and ground as described in the Diagnosis, locate the open circuit and repair it.

3.If there is continuity as described in the Diagnosis replace the wiper motor using the procedure outlined in the appropriate service manual.