sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

how to replace the alternater on a 2000 dodge grand carava

Customer Question

how to replace the alternater on a 2000 dodge grand caravan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ted the technician replied 8 years ago.

Hi. Im Ted and I will assist you.

Would you please tell me engine in the car. There are 4 to choose from

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
3.3 liter 2wd
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you still there?
Have you removed the windshield wiper housing. This is alot easier than removing the intake. The housing inst too hard to remove. Once its out of the way you can get to the alternator bolts and it will come right out
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I remove the housing? Is this removed from the top and the bottom? Wiper come off and all? Do you have a diagram?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.

Hi Lou, welcome to JustAnswer! Here are instructions to replace your alternator.

Release hood latch and open hood.

• Disconnect battery negative cable.
  • Remove windshield wiper housing, refer to the Windshield Wipers and Washers for proper procedures.
  • Remove accessory drive belt.
  •  

graphic

• Remove bolt holding top of generator mount bracket to engine air intake plenum.
  • Remove bolts holding outside of generator mount bracket to generator mount plate.
  • Remove bolt holding top of generator to mount bracket.
  • Remove generator mount bracket from vehicle.
  • Rotate generator toward rear dash panel.
  •  

graphic

• Disconnect the push-in field wire connector . from back of generator.
  • Remove nut holding B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
  • Separate B+ terminal from generator.
  •  

graphic

graphic

Remove bolt holding bottom of generator to lower pivot bracket.

1. Remove generator from vehicle

INSTALLATION

1. Place generator in position on vehicle.
    2. Install bolt to hold bottom of generator to lower pivot bracket.
    3. Place B+ terminal in position on generator.
    4. Install nut to hold B+ wire terminal to back of generator.
    5. Connect the push-in field wire connector into back of generator.
    6. Rotate generator forward away from dash panel.
    7. Place generator mount bracket in position on vehicle.
    8. Install bolt to hold top of generator to mount bracket.
    9. Install bolts to hold outside of generator mount bracket to generator mount plate.
    10. Install bolt to hold top of generator mount bracket to engine air intake plenum.
    11. Install accessory drive belt.
    12. Install windshield wiper housing, refer to the Windshield Wipers and Washers for proper procedures.
    13. Connect battery negative cable.
    14. Verify generator charge rate.
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
       This is helpful. Although I did notice that this drawing was for a 3.0 l and I have a 3.3 liter. My bolt locations are more north and south as opposed to the drawings east and west. Assuming this is a minor difference.
       But I am lost on exactly how to remove the windshield wiper housing. Do you have details on this? I never realized this was a removeable plastic part

I noticed that picture was a 3.0 too, but that's all it gives. Its kind of generic. As you have already found out its in almost the exact same spot. They don't call out specific instructions in the manual for the wiper assembly that I can find, so I'll do it from memory.

Remove the wiper arms. They should have 15mm nuts holding them down. You'll probably need a puller to get the arms off without damage, a simple cheap battery terminal puller will do the trick.

Once the arms are off remove all the small torx screws holding the plastic cover on the wiper assembly. Open the hood and remove the cover. Be careful not to scratch it on the hood.

Once its off you'll find braces that go from the firewall under the windhshield to the wiper assembly. Remove the 10mm nuts on the windshield side.

You'll see a row of 13mm bolts that hold the assembly to the firewall. Remove these bolts.

Unplug the electrical connector and the washer solvent hose, and its ready to come off. Just left it up and away from the van.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    OK....I will be giving this a try tonight or tomorrow, as I have already wasted the morning and need to get to work. Thanks for your help....I hope this does it!
    You're welcome and good luck! You shouldn't have too much problem. Please click the accept answer button and let me know if you need any more help with it!
    Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist