Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

How do I change fuel injectors on my 2005 5.

9 dodge diesel...
how do I change fuel injectors on my 2005 5. 9 dodge diesel
1/19/2009
Petek
Petek, Dodge Technician

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Refer to Cleaning Fuel System Parts.

Six individual, solenoid actuated high-pressure fuel injectors (7) are used. The injectors are vertically mounted into a bored hole in the top of the cylinder head. This bored hole is located between the intake/exhaust valves. High-pressure connectors, mounted into the side of the cylinder head, connect each fuel injector to each high-pressure fuel line.

graphic

Disconnect both negative battery cables from both batteries. Cover and isolate ends of cables.

Remove breather assembly

graphic

Remove valve cover. Refer to Engines for procedures.

Remove all 12 fuel injector wire harness nuts (1) securing integrated wiring harness to all 6 fuel injectors.

graphic

An integrated fuel injector wire harness /valve cover gasket (2) is used. After all 12 nuts (1) have been removed, remove this integrated gasket. Before removing gasket, disconnect engine wiring harness at both electrical connectors (3).

Remove necessary high pressure fuel line connecting necessary fuel injector rail to high pressure connector. Refer to Fuel Line Removal for procedures.

A connector retainer (nut) is used on each connector tube. Remove this nut(s) by unthreading from cylinder head.

graphic

graphic

Using special high-pressure connector removal tool #9015 (2) remove necessary high-pressure connector(s) from cylinder head. Tool #9015 threads onto connector tube. Use tool to pry connector tube(s) from cylinder head.

graphic

Remove 2 fuel injector hold-down clamp bolts (1) at each injector being removed. Remove necessary exhaust rocker arm assembly(s).

graphic

USING TOOL #9010:

Special Tool #9010 is equipped with 2 clamshell clamps, a sliding retainer sleeve to retain the clamshell clamps, a 2-piece mounting stud, and a pivoting handle. Do not attempt to remove the fuel injector with any other device. Damage to injector will occur.

The rocker housing is bolted to the top of cylinder head. The mounting stud from tool #9010 was meant to temporarily replace a rocker housing mounting bolt. Remove the necessary rocker housing mounting bolt. These mounting bolts are located at the center of each of the 3 rocker housing support bridges.

Install and tighten 2-piece mounting stud to rocker housing. If removing the #6 fuel injector, separate the 2-piece mounting stud. Install lower half of mounting stud to center of rocker housing bridge. Install upper half of mounting stud to lower half.

Position tool handle to mounting stud and install handle nut. Leave handle nut loose to allow a pivoting action.

Position lower part of clamshell halves to sides of fuel injector (wider shoulder to bottom). The upper part of clamshell halves should also be positioned into machined shoulder on the handles pivoting head.

Slide the retainer sleeve over pivoting handle head to lock clamshell halves together.

Be sure handle pivot nut is loose.

Depress handle downward to remove fuel injector straight up from cylinder head bore.

graphic

Remove and discard injector sealing washer (2). This washer should be located on tip of injector, or may have remained in the injector bore.

Installation

graphic

Inspect fuel injector:

Look for burrs on injector inlet.

Check nozzle holes for hole erosion or plugging.

Inspect end of nozzle for burrs or rough machine marks.

Look for cracks at nozzle end.

If any of these conditions occur, replace injector.

Thoroughly clean fuel injector cylinder head bore. Blow out bore hole with compressed air.

The bottom of fuel injector is sealed to cylinder head bore with a copper sealing washer (shim) (1) of a certain thickness. A new shim (1) with correct thickness must always be re-installed after removing injector. Measure thickness of injector shim (1). Shim Thickness: 1.5 mm (0.06 inchess)

Install new shim (1) (washer) to bottom of injector. Apply light coating of clean engine oil to washer. This will keep washer in place during installation.

Install new O-ring to fuel injector. Apply small amount of clean engine oil to O-ring.

Install injector into cylinder head with male (highpressure) connector port facing the intake manifold. Push down on fuel injector mounting flange to engage O-ring and seat injector.

Tightening Sequence:

Install fuel injector holdown clamp (mounting flange) bolts. Do a preliminary tightening of these bolts to 5 Nm (44 in. lbs.) torque. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and centered.

After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.

Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) torque.

Alternately tighten injector holdown bolts to 10 Nm (89 in. lbs.) torque.

Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) torque.

Connect injector solenoid wires and nuts to top of injectors. Tighten connector nuts to 1.25 Nm (11 in. lbs.) torque. Be very careful not to overtighten these nuts as damage to fuel injector will occur.

Install exhaust rocker arm assembly. Refer to the Diesel Engine section.

Set exhaust valve lash. Refer to the Diesel Engine section.

Install high pressure fuel line. Refer to Torque Specifications. Be sure to use a secondary back-up wrench on the connector nut (fitting) while torquing fuel line fitting. Refer to Fuel Line Installation for additional information.

Install valve cover. Refer to the Diesel Engine section.

Install breather assembly.

Connect negative battery cables to both batteries.

Petek
Petek, Dodge Technician
how can you tell which one is bad

does the vehicle have a check engine light on?

yes, the check engine light is on and my oil is full of diesel
o.k. you will have to scan the vehicle and find out which cylinder is dumping the fuel. usually it will give you a misfire code on the cylinder that is dumping the fuel. You can get a fairly inexpensive pocket scanner to scan it, or bring it to your local advance auto parts, or autozone to scan it. However since your oil is full of fuel i wouldnt advise that.
where can I find the special tools needed to remove injectors
These tools are miller brand special tools, you can find them through their website http://millerspecialtools.spx.com/ Or if you have a dealer in your area who would be willing to lend them to you. To be honest you may be better off getting them off line.
Petek
Petek, Dodge Technician
Petek
Petek
Petek, Dodge Technician