Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Dakota: v6..be equipped for 5th wheel towing

Can a 2003 v6 Dodge...
Can a 2003 v6 Dodge Dakota be equipped for 5th wheel towing and what would the GTW be estimated at
1/14/2009
Jims72
Jims72, ASE Certified Technician

I wouldn't do it...the Dakota suspension is not rated to handle the weight of a fifth wheel trailer. I would need to look up the exact tow ratings, but from memory , it tops out around 6000 lbs...a fifth wheel usually exceeds that by far

Jim

I have been told that Scamp has a small 5th wheeler that is "towable"; its dry weight is about 2000 lbs. Does this change your answer?

In light of that...2000 lbs should be no problem. To be honest, I have never heard of putting a fifth wheel in a dakota, but you are well within the tow rating so it won't be a problem. It is actually better to tow from a fifth wheel then the reciever off the back. It distributes the weight much better.

Jim

Jims72
Jims72, ASE Certified Technician
Jims72
Jims72
Jims72, ASE Certified Technician