Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE: I R&R the belt tensioner..V6..bolt..nut

Customer Question
How do I R&R the...
How do I R&R the belt tensioner on a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 3.3L V6? This tensioner has a stud not a through bolt. What is the torque spec for the tensioner nut once the new part is replaced?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/21/2008
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 8 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
30 ft.lbs
Don - Mo Lurch

To Whom Answered:

You answered only part of the issue. I need to know how to R&R the tensioner. The torque concern was secondary. Please respond to getting the tensioner removed and reinstalled.

Best regards,

Rick Davies

Relist: I still need help.
I need the procedure to remove and reinstall the belt tensioner on a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L V6.

The tensioner is attached by stud through the bracket with a nut on the back of the bracket.
This is a pretty difficult nut to get to, if you don't have the vehicle on a rack.

• Remove the accessory drive belt.
  • Remove the 4 bolts from the upper half of the generator bracket.
  • Push the Generator rearward.
  • Remove Nut
  •  

If you have a late model 1994, removal of the wiper arms, cowl & cowl tub, may make it easier to get to the Nut.

Remove Wiper Arms& Torque sccrews securing Cowl.
    Remove Cowl.
    Reove Nuts / Bolts securing Cowl Tub
    Unplug any wires
    Remove Cowl Tub

Remove the accessory drive belt, refer to Cooling System.

Remove the 4 bolts from the upper half of the generator bracket.

Push the Generator rearward.

Remove Nut

Mr. Lurch: I am sorry I did not phrase my question correctly. Thank you for writing more.

I went out to look at the generator and bracket to better understand to what you refer. It looks like if I were to disconnect the NEG terminal at the battery so that I could disconnect the alternator it might provide enough room to get a 6 point box-end wrench between the firewall and the nut. It also looks like I will need to keep pulling outward on the tensioner as I remove the nut, keeping the nut close to the bracket. Are these correct assumptions?

Will you give me your advise about the best way to torsion the tensioner to remove and/or install the serpentine belt? I have a fear that putting stress on the pulley bolt may twist the part when using a socket and ratchet to move the tensioner.

Thank you for coming back with the only information any one would give me. No repair manual had any description of this process nor would my local dealership answer my questions.

Also, how do I remove my previous negative remarks and/or add to them so that the whole story will relay how you made good come of this contact?

Sorry for the delays, but can't assure you of 24/7 contact.

You are in for a little work, just because of how Dodge decided to do that.
    The procedures above can be done or even the way you posted.

Feedback can only be removed by sending an E-Mail to:
    [email protected]
    Supply your user name & brief expanation.

Here is procedure to remove Belt:

graphic

Don - Mo Lurch
    Don - Mo Lurch