sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How do I replace the oil pan on my 2000 Dodge Caravan

Customer Question

I've remove all but 3 of the oil pan bolts, the bolt that goes into the oil pan from the air conditioning bracket, the 2 bolts that affix the collar to the oil pan, and the 2 bolts that affix the collar to the (I think) transmission/trans axle. The collar is now loose but is fouling on what I'm assuming is the front engine mount/torque reaction bracket. It is obvious that 2 of the oil pan bolts are above the collar and the other 1 is tucked behind said reaction bracket. So it looks like I have to remove the bracket to get the collar and remaining oil pan bolts off.

What is the procedure for removing the bracket? I have a jack under the engine - is that necessary? What are the torque settings for the bolts other than the ones for the oil pan? It looks like the 1 if not both of the horizontal bolts for the collar had lock-tite on them. Do I need to use it on re-installation?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

I will check on all the information you requested, but need to know the engine size to make sure it is all accurate.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2.4 L
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

I will attach instructions. On this year, model, and engine size the engine mount doesn't need to be removed.

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on hoist and drain engine oil.
  2. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove bolts attaching dust shield to transaxle housing. Remove dust shield.
  4. Remove oil pan.
  5. Clean oil pan and all gasket surfaces.

INSTALLATION

Fig. 105

1. Apply Mopar Engine RTV GEN II at the oil pump to engine block parting line (Fig. 105).

Fig. 106

1. Install the oil pan gasket to the block (Fig. 106).
  2. Install pan and tighten the screws to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.) .
  3. Install dust shield.
  4. Lower vehicle and fill engine crankcase with proper oil to correct le
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Jeff,

To get to the 2 oil pan bolts closest to the transaxle, the collar has to be removed. There is also one oil pan bolt in the left front corner of the oil pan that is tucked behind what I think is the front torque reaction mounting bracket (where it bolts onto the engine block).

This picture from another response looks very similar to my situation:

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

The oil inaccessible oil pan bolt I'm referring to is above #2 in that picture.

- Mitch
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Jeff,

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

If you can't see the URL, justanswer question id is: 19eyb-need-replace-oil-pan-dodge

- Mitch
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

Not sure, I will opt out for another expert to help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Am I correct in assuming that someone else from justanswer will look at my question? If so, any idea when that will happen?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.
Yes, another expert will try and assist you. When I don't know. Normally doesn't take long.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK. I'll hang out in the waiting room in the meantime...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I couldn't wait for the answer and figured out most of it on my own.

The torque reaction unit has to be removed and the 4 of the 5 bolts that attach the mounting bracket to the block have to also be removed. The top-most bolt, which is perpenticular to the front of the vehicle needs to be loosened enough so that it turns far enough for the collar to be extracted. From there, access to the 3 remaining oil-pan bolts is straightforward.

The only questions I have left are:

What are the torque setting for all of the:

4 bolts that attach the collar to the transmission and oil pan
4 bolts that attach bracket to the block that the torque reaction unit is bolted to
4 bolts that attach the torque reaction unit to the aforementioned bracket
3 bolts that attach the torque reaction unit to the body of the car

and

I have Hondabond and RTV silicon as my choices for the oil pan gasket sealant. Which will be better?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. I'm sorry noone picked up on your question sooner. I'm not familiar with the Hondabond, but engine RTV silicone is what we always use. You just need a small amount at all 4 of the t joints, pointed out in Jeff's picture.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What about the torque settings?
The oil pan bolts torque to 105 in lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench its not all that critical that you get it perfect. Not many people would even bother to torque them correctly, but its great that you are taking the effort to do it right.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What about the other ones I asked about? Those are obviously much higher than 105 in lbs. Thanks.
Here is the procedure to install the bending strut and the structural collar. The collar is the part that goes on the very bottom of the pan, the strut is the part that attaches to the mount that is at the lower core support.

Place collar into position between transaxle and oil pan.

Install collar to transaxle bolt , hand start only.

Install collar to oil pan bolt , hand tight only.

Position bending strut in place and hand start only bolt into the upper transaxle hole.

Install bolt 2, through strut and collar, hand start only.

Install bolt 6, strut to cylinder block, hand tight only.

Install the remaining collar to oil pan bolt 5, hand tight only.

Final torque collar to transaxle bolts 1 - 3, to 101 N·m (75 ft. lbs.)

Install bolts 7 and 8, through strut and into cylinder block.

Final torque bolts 4-8 to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.)

Install front torque bracket. Tighten torque bracket to bending strut bolts to 33 N·m (24 ft. lbs.) and front engine mount through bolt to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.)

graphic

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist