Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2003 DODGE RAM 1500: TRANSMISSION FLUID..SERVICED..TRANNY PROBLEMS

MY 2003 DODGE RAM 1500 NOW HAS 60,000 MILES (PURCHASED NEW) THE MANUAL STATES TO HAVE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID AND FILTER CHANGED...I HAVE HEARD FROM MANY THAT ONCE YOU CHANGE THE FLUID AND FILTER THAT ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS ARISE...WHAT DO I DO???   HAVE IT SERVICED OR WAIT TILL I HAVE TRANNY PROBLEMS??   HELP!!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

2003 Dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter v-8

Already Tried:
no problems yet...just wondering if i should change the fluid and filter...have heard all kinds of horror stories of problems after changing trans. fluid...won't ask the dealer..or use them for service...takes too long...i have a reputable oil change service that does trans. fluid and filter...just scared to ask for trouble!!

If done properly, transmission service shoudlnt cause any problems. A proper transmission service includes band adjustment,and line and throttle pressure adjustments in the valve body, plus the fluid and filter change. One other thing that will affect whether the transmission will experience problems is the type of fluid used. The correct fluid is Mopar ATF +4 (synthetic) fluid. At alot of independent shops they will use regular Dexron ATF plus a synthetic additive. Although this might save you $50-70 on price of service, it will cause transmission slippage and other problems. It is not the way to go.

If you dont want to use a dealership due to higher costs, use an independent transmission shop and verify that they will do the proper adjustments and use the proper fluid. Dont settle for Dexron plus an additive no matter what someone tells you. It does more harm than good. This is probably the MOST important part of the transmission service- proper fluid replacement.