vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

WHAT DOES CODE P1693 MEAN ON A DODGE 1999 CUMMINS DIESEL auto

WHAT DOES CODE P1693 MEAN ON A DODGE 1999 CUMMINS DIESEL auto trans IT WILL NOT SHIFT UP.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 8 years ago.

Good afternoon, P1693 is a basic code that means that there is a code in the other companion module such as the engine controller (cummins) or the powertrain control module (dodge). Inorder to check it further you will need to use a scanner that can access both the Cummins and Dodge control modules to see what codes are found. Other wise symptoms alone are not enough to accurately diag. you problems. The code or codes that you find may or maynot be related to the trans concern.

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How can this code stop the transmission from shifting. It appears that the transmission is having a problem. Can a DIY'er fix this problem.

The trans is electronically controlled by the power train controller (dodge). The code itself wont stop anything from working, however the code that is in the other control module may. You need to get the other code and then I can help you further.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will look for the additional codes and will reply.

Not a problem. I will keep an eye out for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where do you check for the code in the cummings controller? I plugged into the connection under the dash and I am not seeing any more code in the pcm/ecm.

With the correct scanner, when you try to go into the engine controller it will give you two options......(1) cummins module or (2) powertrain module (dodge). The scanner you are using may not be capable of this. If there was a code in the cummins module then there would be a code P1693 in the PCM letting you know. If there is no code in the PCM then where was the original P1693 found?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had the transmission repair shop scann the pcm and they told me there was a p-1693 code in the computer. I tried to scan the the controller and the scanner I have does not return a code. I am looking into buying an new scanner to retrieve the codes. Will a scanner that is OBDE/EOBD read the cummins module?
Thats hard to tell, it depends on the models of scanner. I personally use the factory DRB3 scanner. Some features are manufactor specific.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the info I will keep trying to find the problem.