Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My 2003 Stratus engine oil light is on all the time at idle

goes away at just below...
My 2003 Stratus engine oil light is on all the time at idle goes away at just below 2,000 rpm. There is plenty of oil. I just had the oil & fiter changed but no help.
10/16/2008
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

True, you would want to make sure that there is oil pressure, (when the light is on) however, $90 is too much to find out. What you might rather do just to find out if it is just the sending unit or not is, put in a new one, (for about $6) and see if the light stays out.

Hi Mr. Mechanic:

Is there any possibilty that if the sending unit don't fix it the only other fix is the oil pump.

I know there is a long history of this problem with stratuses. With your expierence maybe you could know what the most positive fix is for this problem is.

I think I'm done with Dodge, I also own a RAM 1500 truck 2003 with only 55,000 miles and the heater core went out on it.

Well, you would want to know if there really is a pressure problem first. If you have an oil pressure gauge, you could check it that way. I would think that if the engine is not ticking or knocking when the light is on, it is most likely an oil sener problem.
Jerry, Master Mechanic
I called the dealer and they say the sending unit is the oil pump for &120.00.

Which V6 do you have in it?

This is what I come up with.

Duralast / Oil Pressure Switch
PS278
$9.99

I have the 2.7 Liter DOHC 24 valve engine on my 2005 DODGE Stratus.

2005?

Here is where it is and how long it takes to change it. You might want to see if autozone has one

graphic

LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Oil Pressure Sender
Replace
Oil Pressure Sending UnitB0.30.5

Is the oil pressure sender the oil pressure switch? And if it is the switch, are you sure? The light goes out when the RPM reaches below 2,000.

The light is not on at high speeds. Only stays on when idleing or on street driving at low speeds. This will lead me to believe that the switch is working.

Let's do this by the book.

What is the oil pressure?

I don't have an oil pressure gauge. Just The LIGHT.

Then we are only guessing. You would have to install an oil pressure gauge and see what the actual oil pressure is at idle, and then at 2400 RPMs to know what is going on.

The only other option would be to change the switch and see if it helps.

Thanks I'll try it. Hopefully it works I'll keep you posted. Again THANK YOU for your time.

Your welcome and come again

I finally got around to changing the oil pressure switch on my stratus like you suggested.

Just wanted to say thank youvery much. It seems to have worked. I was afraid it was going to be the oil pump. Again THANK YOU Very Much!!!!!!

Jerry, Master Mechanic