Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 dodge neon: starts but when you let off the gas it dies…

Customer Question
my 2005 dodge neon starts...
my 2005 dodge neon starts but when you let off the gas it dies. What could this mean
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
10/4/2008
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 9 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hi. Have you had a dead battery, or had the battery disconnected recently?

Lets also check for codes. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. The codes have a p and four numbers, there may be more than one code. Write down any that you see and post them here and I'll tell you what to do.

Was the car running alright other than this? Did this come on suddenly or was it gradual?

It said done but no codes and it did come on suddenly. We have not messed with the battery. Everything else sounds fine no weird noises it just starts but then it dies.
We did just get an oil change and they put 5w20w synthetic blend in it. I don't know if that part matters
Does it run ok off idle? I assume you have to use throttle to start it? You haven't gotten up into any parking ties or curbs lately have you?
Everytime we stop at a light or stop sign and let off the gas it dies. So off idle it just dies, but then starts right back up until you let off the gas again
You may just have a bad idle air control motor. It the engine light's not on we should be able to rule out smashed wiring. If the car runs otherwise ok, and just kind of shuts down when you let off the gas, it sounds like a bad iac motor. This could be tested pretty quickly by a scan tool, there is a test that excercizes the iac, and if the idle doesn't change you know it doesn't work.