Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced Motor Vehicle Mechanic and Trainer
12136997

2005 Chrysler 300-C: drivers door..door ajar..tight..interior lights

Customer Question

2005 Chrysler 300-C has a drivers door ajar warning even though the door is closed tight. As a result, interior lights wont fade or go off.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Fuhrme1 replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The car is a 2005 Chrysler 300-C chemi-engine with 30,000 miles.

I have tried opening and closing the door dozens of times, wiggling the wiring looking for a loose connection.

Expert:  Fuhrme1 replied 8 years ago.

Does it only do it with one door?

Thanks,

Fuhrmeister

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, only the drivers door. If another door or the trunk is open, it shows that door ajar, but that message goes out as soon as the door is closed. The drivers door ajar will not go out no matter how hard I slam the doom.
Expert:  Fuhrme1 replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like the door switch has gone bad or come disconnected. Look at the door jam of the drivers door and locate the little push button switch. Its usually on the front side of door jam. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Fuhrmeister

Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Hello

My name is Glenn. Thanks for using JustAnswer.

The "door ajar" signal is a little more complex on this vehicle than earlier models.

The driver's door latch assembly has a Violet wire running to it from the instrument panel cluster. As the door is opened and closed, this switch in the latch either grounds or ungrounds this wire. The instrument cluster controls the "driver circuit" to control the lamps.

Either the latch in the driver's door or the wiring between it and the instrument cluster has developed a problem. I'd recommend taking this one to the dealer. This vehicle requires diagnostic equipment that is not in the hands of most shops.

Please let me know if you have any further question on this issue.

I've done my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. Please be sure to rate your level of satisfacton with my answers.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced Motor Vehicle Mechanic and Trainer