Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Where is the crank position sensor located on a 2005 Magnum

RT (5.7L hemi)... RWD...
Where is the crank position sensor located on a 2005 Magnum RT (5.7L hemi)... RWD. I've read that it's on the passenger side, near the starter, but I can't locate it.
9/30/2008
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

graphic

The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (4) is located at the right-rear side of the engine cylinder block (1). It is positioned and bolted into a machined hole in the engine block.

If equipped with AWD (All Wheel Drive) disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
Raise vehicle.
If equipped with AWD (All Wheel Drive) remove starter motor.
Disconnect CKP electrical connector (2) at sensor.
Remove CKP mounting bolt (3).
Carefully twist sensor from cylinder block.
Remove sensor from vehicle.
Check condition of sensor O-ring.
INSTALLATION

Clean out machined hole in engine block.
Apply a small amount of engine oil to sensor O-ring.
Install sensor (4) into engine block with a slight rocking and twisting action. CAUTION: Before tightening sensor mounting bolt (3) , be sure sensor is completely flush to cylinder block. If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.
Install mounting bolt (3) and tighten to 12 Nm (106 in. lbs.) torque .
Connect electrical connector (2) to sensor.
Lower vehicle.

Where is the starter motor in relation to the diagram you provided?

They both are on the same side of the engine.

Just the starter actually bolts to the transmission. So the crank sensor will me a bit more toward the front of the vehicle.

Here is another picture.

graphic

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
I searched, and for the life of me couldn't locate the CKP sensor. I found what is probably the knock sensor, but it appeared to be too far forward on the engine block. The only place I think it could be hidden is above the starter motor, which is basically impossible to get to unless the starter is removed.

In order to get to the CKP sensor for replacement, does the starter motor need to be removed? Catalytic converter?

I had the car up on stands in my garage last night and spent nearly an hour trying to locate the sensor. Any help, or additional photos / diagrams would be very helpful.
Here is a diagram of the connector.

graphic
Look by the exhaust manifold
I have a new CKP sensor, so I know exactly what the sensor should look like. However, I simply cannot locate it. The only place I cannot see, in the passenger side area of the engine block, is directly above the starter motor...

Do I need to remove the starter to get to the CKP sensor?

Is there another view or diagram of the engine that would give me a better idea of exactly where it's located? The close-up picture doesn't give a good idea of location, and the other picture only shows the vehicle wiring harness.

You should not have to remove starter.

In an earlier post, I gave you the remove and replacement procedure. It says nothing about removing the starter. I could be wrong, but I don't think that is necessary.

Have you looked by the manifold?

Try to look through the wheel well.

Here is another picture. It is one I gave you before but it is a good reference.

graphic
I looked everywhere I could possibly see from underneath the car. I will try again tonight or tomorrow night when I have more time.

Look at the last picture on this webpage, there's a black plug where I believe the CKP sensor should be... it is directly above where the starter is mounted and there is no room to get a hand around it to reach the sensor.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/20/a-tale-of-two-hemis-chryslers-5-7-and-6-1-v8

Have you ever replaced or removed a CKP sensor on an LX vehicle?

I have not replaced a crank sensor on this motor. I have not seen a bad one come in the shop yet.

Are you sure its a 5.7?

I will try to get you another diagram.

I'll assume you're joking about the 5.7 question... yes, I'm sure.

I've been speaking with a Chrysler friend of mine that worked on the hemi development and calibration and he said that an intermittent CKP sensor signal can lead to longer crank times because the ECM takes longer to determine TDC when it only has the cam sensor to use.

I've found a couple more pictures of the actual engine block online and it looks like the sensor is tucked right above the starter motor, like I feared. The only way I can see to get to if is to remove the starter or remove the cat at the base of the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for your help.

I know asking about the motor size sounds pretty dumb. But you wont not believe how many people give me wrong information. It sends me looking for days for the right information just to find out that their car has a different engine size.

Anyway, I am currently locating more pictures for you. I don't know yet if they are going to help but its worth a shot.

Have you tired going through the wheel well?

Some friends of mine at work and I were just joking yesterday about the dumb questions that have to be asked by people working help desks and service centers ("is it plugged in", "is the lens cap off", etc, etc.)... primarily because there are so many dumb people out there. I don't know how long I could put up with it, honestly.

The wheel well is completely closed off from the engine compartment (the area I need to access) by the unibody. The back face of the engine block is basically in line with the rear of the front tire.

Well additional the pictures that I got are the same ones I have.

I do not have any more pictures available to me for this particular engine.

I am going to leave this question open and maybe other experts have what you are looking for.

Good luck!

vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician

HelloCustomer I am replying back to help you further with you issue. I current have a Magnum on the rack and it has a 5.7 liter engine. The crank shaft position sensor is located on the passenger side just above the starter. Inorder to access it you will need to disconnect the battery in the rear under floor storage compartment and then removed the 3 15mm bolts holding the starter in place. You can leave the wires attached and move it out of your way so that you can then access the crank position sensor. Its hard to see with the starter in place.

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician