Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Disarm switch key on 2004 dodge neon .or put it in service mode

Customer Question
how do you disarm switch...
how do you disarm switch key on 2004 dodge neon .or put it in service mode
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2008
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 9 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hi. What kind of problem are you having?
i need to know how to disable the security on the ignition switch on my 2004 dodge neon

Do you mean the sentry key immobilizer system, the system that uses a chip in the key?

yes the key transponder is a problem .and i just want to bypass the security system.

Ok. There is no way to bypass this system. If there was a way to bypass it anyone could have a key cut from your vin number and be able to steal your car. If you have a problem, you are going to have to have the problem fixed. The system has the SKIM module that communicates with the key, and the module communicates with the engine controller to allow the engine to start. Disconnecting the module would produce the same effects as a bad key- a no start. Here is more on how it works.

Version:0.9 StartHTML:-1 EndHTML:-1 StartFragment(NNN) NNN-NNNNEndFragment(NNN) NNN-NNNN

DESCRIPTION

The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) contains a Radio Frequency (RF) transceiver and a microprocessor. The SKIM retains in memory the ID numbers of any Sentry Key that is programmed to it. The maximum number of keys that may be programmed to each module is eight (8). The SKIM also communicates over the PCI bus with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the instrument cluster, and the DRB III® scan tool. The SKIM transmits and receives RF signals through a tuned antenna enclosed within a molded plastic ring formation that is integral to the SKIM housing. When the SKIM is properly installed on the steering column, the antenna ring fits snugly around the circumference of the ignition lock cylinder housing If this ring is not mounted properly, communication problems may arise in the form of transponder-related faults.

For added system security, each SKIM is programmed with a unique "Secret Key" code. This code is stored in memory and is sent over the PCI bus to the PCM and to each key that is programmed to work with the vehicle. The "Secret Key" code is therefore a common element found in all components of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). In the event that a SKIM replacement is required, the "Secret Key" code can be restored from the PCM by following the SKIM replacement procedure found in the DRB III® scan tool. Proper completion of this task will allow the existing ignition keys to be reprogrammed. Therefore, new keys will NOT be needed. In the event that the original "Secret Key" code can not be recovered, new ignition keys will be required. The DRB III® scan tool will alert the technician if key replacement is necessary. Another security code, called a PIN, is used to gain secured access to the SKIM for service. The SKIM also stores in its memory the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which it learns through a bus message from the PCM during initialization. The SKIS scrambles the information that is communicated between its components in order to reduce the possibility of unauthorized SKIM access and/or disabling.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08