Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Turn signals work..no right turn signal going to my 7 prong plug.

Customer Question
All my turn signals work...
All my turn signals work on my 2006 truck, but I have no right turn signal going to my 7 prong plug.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/10/2008
Dodge Mechanic: TIM, SERVICE MANAGER replied 9 years ago
TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER

hello, the power for the trailer outputs comes from the total intergrated power module-- this can be reset by doing a battery disconnect--

if problem return that would indicate a short in the trailer side of the wiring,tim

The 2006 DR/DH/D1 is equipped with a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) that provides power feeds for a trailer that are separate from the vehicle lighting feeds. The TIPM uses a dedicated 20A fuse (no electronic control) to power the Park/Position Lamps, and dedicated electronic drivers to power the Left and Right Stop/Turn Signal feeds. On the Stop/Turn outputs, if a load of more than 15 amps is sensed, the TIPM is designed to shut down the circuit and set a Trailer Stop/Turn short circuit fault code (B178C or B166E). This strategy was put in place to protect the vehicle and trailer wiring if a short circuit condition on the trailer occurs.

should i disconnect the pos or neg of both batteries, would a short in the trailer cause this

disconnect the negative post only,tim

after doing this test the outputs of the trailer connector with a test light -- do not hook back up to the trailer until tested

I tried that no luck
hello again -- have you verified that all of the fuses are in place and the trailer tow relay is in place in the pdc under hood?tim
I pulled 2 15amp #14&16 pulled 20 amp #15 and 30 amp #19. The blinkers still work on truck and I have power to left signal on plug but not to right
trace the wiring back from the trailer connector on the truck -- check ing for power and let me know what we find,tim
I pulled plug left front fender well. I found 2 terminals that blink with left turn signal, but only 1 when I turn the right signal on. The all green wire has no blink action

the tipm may have to be reset with the dealers star scan if the battery disconnect does not reset -- it has a stored code in the computer,tim

tipm(totally intergrated power module) is locked up and not delivering the output on that wire

I also tested the wire coming out of the back of the fuse panel and I have left turn signal but no right.
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 9 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Hi. You've got a problem in your integrated power module. That is the fuse box under the hood with the integral control module as Tim pointed out. The first thing you need to do is disconnect the battery, this will clear any codes in the TIPM. If it still has no power coming out, you'll need to replace it. If it does have power after the battery disconnect, you'll have to see your dealer to have the software in it reprogrammed. There was a problem with the original software that would disable the lights if they drew too much current.
sprinkles08
The local dealer finally told me about some trouble codes for my vehicle, but is not covered under the warranty. I have to take truck and trailer in next week. Hope that does it
Thanks for all the help.
You are welcome, good luck!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08