vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

2005 magnum gear shift stuck in park. have tried overide ...

2005 magnum gear shift stuck in park. have tried overide have brake lights.What can I do or how do I tow?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 9 years ago.

Good morning, this is a common problem. First make sure the brake lights work when the brake pedal is depressed. If so then you will either need to repair the shifter assembly or replace it. Here is a link that shows step by step what to do to try and repair it:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?p=1538277

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to vipertech763's Post: how do i tow the car with it in gear?
You will need to take the center console out so that you you can gain access to the other pink lock out linkage on the drivers side of the shifter and and push it back towards the rear of the vehicle with your foot on the brake and the vehicle running and then the shifter will move and you can drive the vehicle instead of having to tow it, otherwise you will have to get underneath and take the shifter cable loose and move the linkage to neutral while someone holds the brakes so that it can be towed.