sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I HAD THIS CODE P1281 Engine Is Cold Too Long WHAT DO ...

Customer Question

I HAD THIS CODE P1281 Engine Is Cold Too Long WHAT DO I DO KNOW TO FIX IT AND HOW DO I DO A OBD 2 DRIVE CYCLE ON MY 2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 years ago.
This is caused by a thermostat that is broken or stuck open almost 100% of the time. Your first stop would be to replace the thermostat. If you have installed an aftermarket thermostat with a colder temperature, get it out and put a stock 195 degree back in it. When you refill the system wth coolant be sure to use the bleeder screw on the upper radiator hose outlet.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK NOW HOW ABOUT THE SECOND PART OF MY QUESTION? HOW DO I DO A OBD 2 DRIVE CYCLE SO I CAN CLEAR THECODE SO THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES OFF?
To clear the code you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the light will be off when you start it up again. You could also just drive the truck. When the pcm runs a certain obdII monitor and it passes 3 times in a row the light will turn off, if the problem does not reoccur in 255 starts the code will be erased completely. Each monitor can be run at a different time with different driving conditions, all monitors run all by themselves with no input from the driver. In your case if you want the code to clear naturally you will have to drive the truck from a cold start and drive it until it is fully warmed up without shutting it off. You will have to do this and it has to pass 3 times in a row, and on the 4th time you start it the light should be off if it is fixed.