Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

wheres the fuel pump located in my 1997 dodge

Customer Question
where's the fuel pump located...
where's the fuel pump located in my 1997 dodge caravan, the motor is 3.0?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/24/2008
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 9 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
The pump is in the fuel tank. You have to drop the tank at least partially to remove the pump.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: how does it look? and what do I need to take it out?

REMOVAL

1. Remove the fuel filler cap.
  2. Insert a siphon hose into the fuel filler tube and drain the fuel into anapproved gasoline holding tank until the fuel level in the tank is at or below 1/4 full.
  3. Remove the cover from the power distribution center (PDC).
  4. Remove the fuel pump relay from the PDC.
  5. Start the vehicle and run it until it runs out of fuel then crank the engine for an additional 10 seconds. Turn the key to the OFF position.
  6. Install the fuel pump relay and PDC cover.
  7. With the ignition key in the OFF position, disconnect the negative battery cable.

NOTE: To enhance customer satisfaction, remember to record all radio settings before disconnecting the battery and to reset all electronic memory (clock, radio settings, etc.) when you have completed the service procedure.

8. Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
  9. Support the fuel tank using a transmission jack.
  10. Remove the two (2) inboard fuel tank strap bolts.
  11. Lower the inboard side of the fuel tank about 3" to allow access to the fuel pump module.
  12. Using a shop rag, clean any dirt and debris from around the fuel pump module area.
  13. Slide the fuel pump module electrical connector lock to the unlocked position Push down on the connector retainer and then pull the connector from the module .
  14. Disconnect both fuel line quick connects from the fuel pump module Clean any excess gasoline and/or dirt from the fuel pump module flange.
  15. Using Miller Tool No. 8269, remove the lock nut
      · If the Go/No\-Go gauge fits over the threads (Go) and can be moved to the tank surface, a NEW lock nut MUST be installed.
      · If the Go/No\-Go gauge does NOT fit over the threads (No\-Go), the ORIGINAL lock nut must be re\-installed.

IMPORTANT: The Go/No\-Go gauge must easily fit over the mounting boss threads. Do NOT use excessive force when attempting to install the gauge.

16. Install the new or original lock nut as determined above. Make sure that the locating tab on the fuel pump module is aligned with the notch in the fuel tank.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT install the new lock nut SEAL at this time.

NOTE: The NEW lock nut I.D. is smaller than the old lock nut and therefore will have a much tighter fit to the fuel tank. Be careful not to cross thread the lock nut.

17. Using Miller Special Tool No. 8269, tighten the fuel pump module lock nut to 20 ft\-lbs (27 N· m)

IMPORTANT: The lock nut MUST be tightened using Miller Special Tool No. 8269. Do not over tighten the lock nut. To ensure a correct torque measurement, the torque wrench must be installed in line with the special tool handle.

18. With a paint marker or similar tool, mark the top of the fuel pump module and the lock nut to indicate the location of the arrow on the lock nut after the lock nut has been tightened without having the seal installed .
  19. Using Miller Tool No. 8269, remove the lock nut
  20. Slightly raise the fuel pump module and carefully install the NEW fuel pump module seal .
  21. Using Miller Special Tool No. 8269, tighten the lock nut to 35 ft\-lbs (47.5 N· m)

22. Check the position of the arrow on the lock nut relative to the mark made on the fuel pump module in Step 4.
      · If the lock nut has been tightened such that the arrow is at or beyond the mark on the fuel pump module, continue with Step 10.
      · If the lock nut has been tightened such that the arrow has not reached the mark on the fuel pump module, tighten the lock nut further until the arrow is aligned with the mark.
  23. Connect both fuel lines to the fuel pump module Push the connectors on to the nipples until they are seated and then pull back and push on again to assure that the connectors are secure.

NOTE: Wipe any excess fuel from the fuel pump module.

24. Connect the fuel pump module electrical connector. Be sure to slide the retainer into the locked position .
  25. Raise the fuel tank into position and install the inboard fuel tank strap bolts. Torque the strap bolts to 40 ft\-lbs (54 N·m).
  26. Remove the tank support and lower the vehicle.
  27. Refill the fuel tank.
  28. Connect the negative battery cable.
  29. Start the engine and check for any fuel leaks.

The fuel pump can be seen from the right side of the tank, here is what it looks like from the outside.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08