Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2003 Dodge Stratus. 2.7 Has intermittent stall, sometimes ...

Customer Question
2003 Dodge Stratus. 2.7 Has...
2003 Dodge Stratus. 2.7 Has intermittent stall, sometimes cranks but no start. Has fuel but no spark. No check engine light, but trouble code 1389 stored. Replaced cam and crank sensor. Thought that fixed it, but problem came back a day later. Any ideas?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/8/2008
Dodge Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician replied 9 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
You should check out the ASD relay, it may be your problem. Here is what the manual says about it.

AUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY
The relay is located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) . For the location of the relay within the PDC, refer to the PDC cover for location. Check electrical terminals for corrosion and repair as necessary

The ASD sense circuit informs the PCM when the ASD relay energizes. A 12 volt signal at this input indicates to the PCM that the ASD has been activated. This input is used only to sense that the ASD relay is energized.

When energized, the ASD relay supplies battery voltage to the fuel injectors, ignition coils and the heating element in each oxygen sensor.

When energized, the ASD relay provides power to operate the injectors, ignition coil, generator field, O2 sensor heaters (both upstream and downstream), (EGR solenoid and PCV heater if equipped) and also provides a sense circuit to the PCM for diagnostic purposes. If the PCM does not receive 12 volts from this input after grounding the ASD relay, it sets a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). The PCM energizes the ASD any time there is a Crankshaft Position sensor signal that exceeds a predetermined value. The ASD relay can also be energized after the engine has been turned OFF to perform an O2 sensor heater test, if vehicle is equipped with OBD II diagnostics.

As mentioned earlier, the PCM energizes the ASD relay during an O2 sensor heater test. This test is performed only after the engine has been shut off. The PCM still operates internally to perform several checks, including monitoring the 02 sensor heaters.

Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
i swapped the ASD relay with radiator fan relay. Is the relay failing a common problem? If the car stalls again might I have a problem with the PCM?
Yes the PCM could easily be bad. The ASD relay is a common failure item. Don't forget to locate and clean the ground wires for the injection and the PCM if they don't have a good clean and tight connection it can cause the problem you are having. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

do you have a diagram of the ground wires? also should i get a new relay or will switching them be sufficient? if i do get a new PCM do i have to take the whole car to the dealer to or can i take the PCM to get it flashed to the right mileage?
It looks like the PCM reprogram is a dealer only function, here is what the manual says about it. Notice they mention to check the grounds.

IMPORTANT NOTE
Before replacing the PCM for a failed driver, control circuit or ground circuit, be sure to check the related component/circuit integrity for failures not detected due to a double fault in the circuit. Most PCM driver/control circuit failures are caused by internal failure to components (i.e. 12-volt pull-ups, drivers and ground sensors). These failures are difficult to detect when a double fault has occurred and only one DTC has set.

NOTE: If the PCM and the SKIM are replaced at the same time, program the VIN into the PCM first. All vehicle keys will then need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKIM.

The SKIS Secret Key is an I.D. code that is unique to each SKIS. This code is programmed and stored in the SKIM, engine controller and transponder chip (ignition key). When replacing the PCM it is necessary to program the secret key into the
PCM.

NOTE: After replacing the PCM, you must reprogram pinion factor.

1. Turn the ignition on (transmission in park/ neutral).
2. Use the DRBIII and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM then MISCELLANEOUS.
3. Select PCM REPLACED.
4. Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN. NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter the secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the run position for one hour then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned off. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).
5. Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the SKIM will send the secret key to the PCM).

For the ground location the manual doesn't give an exact location. Follow the wires out of the pcm, within a few feet the ground wires should come out of the harness and bolt to ground. There will be other grounds in the system too. It is good to give the entire under hood wiring a good check up and tighten and clean any system ground wires found. Any one of these grounds can shut you down. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician