Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge: There are 4 wires on the oxygen sensor..signal

There are 4 wires on...
There are 4 wires on the oxygen sensor of my Dodge Ram truck. 2 white ,1 black, and one with a blue line on it. Which wire sends the signal to the computer?
6/27/2008
JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Couple quick questions for you while I pull up some diagrams:

-What is the exact Year and Engine Size please?
2001 Dodge Ram with 5.7 the V8 magnam engine
Sorry....1 more question.

What Body Style?
graphic
R1500
Ok...

I uploaded the Wiring Diagrams for the Engine Performance for the 5.9 L Engine (I can't find anything on the 5.7...I don't think they used that engine in any trucks that year) in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. They are in full color for easier Wire identification.
You will notice at the top of page 3 the Oxygen Sensors. Also on page 2 at the top you will see the Oxygen Sensor Relay. As far as yours go, I do not see any solid black wires on the diagrams. Use the diagrams to trace the paths back to the PCM according to which application (fed/cali) or which sensor applies to you.
I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Don't forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
Sorry it is the 5.9 . I went under the truck and I see 4 wires on the oxygen sensor. 2 are white,
one looks black and the 4th looks blue or a blue line on it. I can't read diagrams so that is why I ask the question. Which one goes to the computer?
Here is a picture of all the possible plug-ins. They are marked with the Wire Colors and where they go.

graphic
Oxygen Sensor Signal is what you are looking for. Let me know if this helps.

___________________________
Please don't get upset but this is not the answer I am looking for. The plug in Question is above the transmision and hard to get at. Thats why I dont want to unplug it. If you can't outright say its the black, the blue or one of the whites then I guess I'll have to go to work, get my volt meter start stripping the wires one by one and find the one with the lowest voltage. This will be the one I am looking for. I was hoping I didn't have to go through this extra work today. So Before I go to work can you tell me exactly what I asked. Which wire?
Tell me exactly which sensor it is. California or Federal.

graphic
Federal
Which Sensor? (1/1, 1/2, 2/1, 2/2)
graphic
2/1 it onlt has one before the Cat
Looking at this picture of the Connector which also has the Wire Colors marked on the Left side, you will see that there is 2 White Wires like you said, but these are marked with stripes. The Signal Wire is supposed to be the Light Green with Red Stripe. Same as on the Wiring Diagram I sent you (if you zoom to like 200% you can read it perfectly).
graphic
Thanks alot for your time and great effert.
At least with the diagram I will start checking the one in question with my voltmeter first.
Wise Choice. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks. JHoop.
JHoop
JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician