Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 Engine keeps overheating at highway ...

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 Engine keeps overheating at highway speeds (65-70 mph) only. Have already replaced radiator, fan clutch, water pump, temp sensor, thermostat, and some hoses.   Does not overheat in city traffic. Have done a lot of research and find many others with same Dodge problem but I can not find the cause?? Please help ASAP I need the truck to move out of home next two weeks. Thanks in advance
Here is a link to an article I wrote about engine overheating. It will run you through the test procedure. I know it has helped many people because it is ranked #1 on the site, as well as Google.
If you still need help, just reply.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Your article is good but I explained in my initial e-mail that I, actually the dealer, has already changed all of the things your article tells me to diagnose and the vehicle still overheats. Do you have any specific informaton on Dodge Ram Trucks overheating despite having all major heating components replaced? I've researched the internet and find many folks with the same problem on 2002 Dodge Rams. Any specifices instead general diagnositic informaiton?
OK...The fact that they changed these things, and it still overheats, means they never TESTED anything.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK... Do you have any solutions?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If I were a technician I would not be taking my truck to a dealer for repair. I'm looking for specifics on this problem with Dodge Ram Trucks. Do you have any feedback on the problem or are we going to spend the $15 on chat?

ASE asked for me to help you.

I suggest you hook a cooling system pressure tester to the system and drive the vehicle in the city and monitor the pressure in the system off and on. Without side temps of 50-90 the pressure should be no where close to 16psi. Now drive it on the highway and check it a few times. Especially when the temp gauge starts to go up. High pressures may now be visible. If so then I suspect a possible concern with the head gaskets leaking and allowing combustion heat and pressure to get into the system.

Another possibility is trash has collected in the coolers in front of the radiator causing reduced air flow to the radiator. Another possibility is an oil sludge concern causeing engine resistance and causeing excessive heat. I do recommend you make sure the heat is gettin as high as it shows by checking the thermostat housing with a thermal gun.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
-Sorry I misunderstood one of your replies as stating that you were the dealer, We talk in two different languages so thats why I asked.
Moose will take good care of you, He's one of our finest!
-Russ
Your welcome