Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

96 Jeep Cherokee: The neutral safety switch..bypass

Customer Question
The neutral safety switch on...
The neutral safety switch on my 96 Jeep Cherokee is not working and I want to know how to bypass it. The new switch costs $200. Which wires can I connect to bypass the switch?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/22/2008
Dodge Mechanic: JHoop, Dodge Technician replied 9 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Couple quick questions for you while I pull up some diagrams:

-Have you located the Switch on the Vehicle?
I know where the switch is on the transmission and I know where the plug is under the hood where the wires from the switch connect.
From the looks of this diagram, B and C.
graphic

I already ran a jumper wire between B and C, but did not cut the wires and connect them. For some reason it still did not solve the problem. Should I cut the B and C wires and connect them?
NO.... By NO MEANS cut the wire. If you jumped it at the plug, and it made no difference, cutting the wires will make no difference. DO NOT CUT!! Let me look the wiring diagrams over and i'll be right back.
Question: When you jumped it, did you do what is called "Back Probe" it?
Meaning: Was the Plug plugged in and you jumped the wires B and C from the back side of the Plug?
I need help, thanks
I connect B and C on the transmition side of the harness and then plugged the harness back in.
Ok...I will assume you have a Voltage Meter and/or Test Light. So. Plug the Plug Back in, and take you light, and check for voltage at the B and C terminals, while the vehicle is Park, and the key in the ON position with your Foot on the Brake. (not running...ON) Tell me what you find.
The truck is at a friends house right now and I don't have time right now to go over there, but if you'll tell me what it should read, I'll take your advice and head over there and see what happens. Any other possibilities I should check?
Yea...A cheap salvage you get you a temporary replacement for little of nothing. Normally, you would have voltage to those circuits. Let me ask you this. What has drawn you/ya'll to the conclusion that the Neutral Safety Switch needs to be replaced?
When the vehicle is in park or nuetral, it should start when you turn the key. For a while, I could jiggle the shift lever and it would start. Now that doesn't work any more. I have to turn the key on, crawl under the truck and bump the solenoid.
Check for Voltage and that plug in. Which ever one does not have voltage, apply juice to that side of the plug. Should tell the pcm you have connection.
JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician
Hi JHoop,                                        &nbs p;I tried everything you told me on the 96 cherokee and still got nothing. I guess I'll try a switch from the salvage yard. If that doesn't work, I'll have to try a mechanic. Thanks for trying.
Salvages are the best place to get those to be honest with you. Simply because its not a very common fix. Let me know if you need anything else.
If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, the advice you gave me on the 96 cherokee nuetral safety switch didn't work, so I guess I'll have to try the salvage yard. Thanks for trying.Customer
I heard you the first time. There are endless possibilities or avenues we could take on this. If you would like. I'm just trying to look out for your best interrest being your the one having to do all the travelling back and forth. Getting an inexpensive temporary replacement from a salvage is really the best route to take. Let me know if you want to continue and I'll pull the diagrams back up. Thanks, JHoop.
No you've done your best considering you don't have the truck in front of you. If the salvage switch doesn't work, I'll contact you again to see if there is anything else I can do. Thanks
You know where to find me. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop
JHoop
JHoop, Dodge Technician