Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1997 Dodge Ram 1500: CRANK SENSOR, ROTOR CAP & KIT, IGNITION COIL

Customer Question
1997 Dodge Ram 1500, Engine...
1997 Dodge Ram 1500, Engine turns over but want start. I replace CRANK SENSOR, ROTOR CAP & KIT, IGNITION COIL, FUEL PUMP,& OIL PRESSURE SENSOR. Then I check and there is no fire going to the plugs,or ignition coil. What else could be the problem
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/27/2008
Dodge Mechanic: mndave0002, engineer replied 9 years ago
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

Are you or were you getting any warning lights? Have you gotten the codes for faults? Lets get tehm and se if we can solve this. What motor do you have. Pick-up coil? Cam sensor? depends what motor you have.
Turn the key from off to on three times within five seconds. Then watch the CHECK ENGINE lamp. When you hit the proper rhythm ( this varies some from vehicle to vehicle and takes a few tries sometimes ), the MIL will stay lit longer than normal, go out and then start flashing.
Count the flashes. There will be short pauses between sets of flashes to indicate you're going to another number. The last set of flashes will always be 5-5, or code 55, which means end of test. All the codes will have two digits to them. You can repeat this as many times as needed to get a feel for how it works. If the PCM or battery has been disconnected within the last month or so, the first code you'll see is 1-2 (code 12) which indicates a recent loss of memory. be careful not to misread numbers so like 1-2 becomes a 3 or 2-3 becomes 3-2. Do this a few times to check and always write them down for future reference.

hope this helps.______________
PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
I just tried this several times and the check engine light don't come on. there was no warning lights before this happen, but I was jump starting a chev malibu, and my dodge wouldn't start ever since
Did you do the pick-up coil under the rotor? ASD or auto shut down relay?
No I will go get both these item. where is the ASD located. If this works You cna charge my card $25.00 OK
I will get you testing for pick-up coil and ASD relay should be along the firewall in box shoudl be marked.
Or on the drivers fender in the PDC or power distribution center.
Sorry I dont have a better location on that
CPS or cam sensor/pick-up coil. I dont have the picture here for the other option for this on the end of cam shaft (I can not remeber when this changed) but does the same thing. Look for the wires it is either end of cam shaft or under distributor I only have 96 pic

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the camshaft position sensor mounting-4-cylinder, V6 and V8 engines

...now it should run without this one so my bet is ASD but you did change lots of stuff so maybe CPS does not have memory to fall back on.
See ASd this is 96 too but for sure 97 has one.

I replace the pick up coil & the fuel system relay. The ASD was not shown on the 1997 Dodge 1500 but was on the 1996 Dodge 1500. Still no results. I check to see is any fire was going to the fuel pump and there was nothing. What could be stopping fire from going to these different parts when the ignition is switch on.
is there anything other than what I've tried so far that will stop the vehicle from producing fire.
Sorry I have not got back to you. Gonna roll this one around to some people and ask parts man I think we are getting some mixed info here..hope it is not mine.(edited after last post) .I confirmed it there is 100% for sure a ASD relay in this truck. It is in the PDC (power ditribution center) box under the hood. It may not be available from the regular parts store but I doubt that. Dodge parts are better. They probably looked it up wrong. If so chew some BUTT. I am very sorry I could not get this much faster. I should have went for this sooner and confirmed it was like I thought.
Thanks for the feedback jazzy jer and Dodge Expert,sorry it's so late, but the problem is not the ASD Relay. I clean the dust off the inside of the Relay box cover that is located on the driver side fender up under the hood and you are right there are Four big Relay at the bottom left (1) ABS Pump Relay (2)Starter Relay (3) ASD (4) Trailer Relay which I replace all of them. I also replace the Fuel System Relay & the (20 Amp Fuel Pump) (40 Amp Ign. Run) (40 Amp Ign Run/ACC.) (30 Amp Eng. Control) still no fire going out to fuel pump or ignition coil. Is it possible that my computer has gone bad. Computer date 5/26/97    DLR Code 42395 P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNND. Will a bad computer produce these symtoms?
yes it is very possible sorry we were not able to track this down for you. Make sure to have it tested before you just replace it. Maybe the ignition cylinder too but make sure to check the cables form teh battery NOT the ones that go to the starter but to the ignition.

?

IGNITION SWITCH AND KEY CYLINDER
The ignition switch is located on the steering column. The Key-In-Switch is located in the ignition switch module. For diagnosis of the Key-In-Switch, refer to Section 8U.
REMOVAL
Disconnect negative cable from battery.
If vehicle has a tilt column, remove tilt lever by turning it counterclockwise.
Remove upper and lower covers from steering column
Remove ignition switch mounting screws. Use tamper proof torx bit Snap-on TTXR20A2 or equivalent to remove the screws or
Gently pull switch away from column. Release connector locks on 7-terminal wiring connector, then remove connector from ignition switch.
Release connector lock on 4-terminal connector, then remove connector from ignition switch
To remove key cylinder from ignition switch:
Insert key in ignition switch. Turn key to LOCK position. Using a TTXR20A2 or equivalent torx bit, remove key cylinder retaining screw and bracket Key or
Rotate key clockwise to the OFF position. Key cylinder will unseat from ignition switch When key cylinder is unseated, it will be approximately 1/8 inch away from ignition switch halo light ring. Do not attempt to remove key cylinder at this time.
With key cylinder in unseated position, rotate key counterclockwise to the lock position and remove key.
Remove key cylinder from ignition switch
I purchase a computer Friday 03/14/08 from Advance Auto, Sunday 03/16/08 I install it & program it to the vehicle. That was the problem. It was not the Ignition Switch Cylinder or the ASD Relay.     Thanks You Still for taking the time to help.
thanks
mndave0002
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer