Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

dodge ram 1500: light flashes..restart..vehicle be serviced…

Customer Question
When starting my dodge ram...
When starting my dodge ram 1500 with the command start at temperatures below minus 30 the ETC light flashes. If I turn of the vehicle and restart with the key it is fine. Is this because of the cold or should the vehicle be serviced.
Submitted: 14 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/15/2008
Dodge Mechanic: Leo, Auto Service Technician replied 14 years ago
Leo
Leo, Auto Service Technician

Is that -30 F? BRRR!

I suspect it's the cold weather. My Hemi when it get's down in the -20 range (F) likes to flash the ETC light at me, I generally let it warm up for a while and then restart it and the light goes out. If I just try to drive off immediately the gas pedal doesn't respond. I've found that with my 04 when it starts misbehaving like this, the fix is to simply clean the throttlebody out, and it takes care of it usually until the following winter.

I don't believe it's an issue with your remote starter, but for hoots I'd try starting it manually one cold morning and see if it behaves the same way.

If it's happened recently, let's see if we can get the codes out of the system as this may clue us in to either an ETC issue , or a remote start issue.

Starting with the key off, cycle it on-off-on-off-on, then watch the odometer. It should change from the mileage to a series of "P codes" say P1234 for an example. Followed up by Pdone.

Write down any codes that appear and reply back, and I'll look them up, it'll give us a much better idea what's going on.

Leo