Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1994 DODGE: I NEED A DIAGRAM..TAIL..WITHOUT REMOVING THE TRANSFER case

Customer Question
I NEED A DIAGRAM FOR...
I NEED A DIAGRAM FOR 1994 DODGE 2500 TRANSFERCASE. OR CAN TAIL SHAFT BEARING(OUTPUT SHAFT) BE REPLACED WITHOUT REMOVING THE TRANSFER CASE
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2008
Dodge Mechanic: mndave0002, engineer replied 10 years ago
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer

Welcome to justanswer.com

accordomg to these the removal instructions or the extension housing seal instructiosn you do nto have to remove the transfer case to replace

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Pick-Up and Ramcharger

1. Remove the transmission and converter as an assembly; otherwise the converter drive plate pump bushing and oil seal will be damaged. The drive plate will not support a load. Therefore, none of the weight of transmission should be allowed to rest on the plate during removal.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the engine cover. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. Remove engine to transmission struts, if necessary. You may have to drop the exhaust system on some models.

4. Remove the starter. Remove wire from the neutral starting switch and converter solenoid (if equipped).

5. Remove the gearshift cable or rod from the transmission and the lever.

6. Disconnect the throttle rod from left side of transmission. Disconnect the distance sensor and speedometer.

7. Drain the transmission fluid and reinstall the pan. Disconnect the oil cooler lines at transmission and remove the oil filler tube. Disconnect the speedometer cable.

8. Remove the converter front cover. Mark the converter and flexplate to converter mounting bolts/nuts. Turn the engine in a clockwise direction to gain access to the bolts. Mark for reference and remove the driveshaft.

9. Install engine support fixture or position a jack to hold up the rear of the engine. Care should be taken not to place strain on the radiator hoses, etc. Watch the fan-to-radiator clearance.

10. Position a suitable transmission jack under the transmission. Raise the transmission slightly with the jack to relieve load and remove support bracket or crossmember. Remove all of the bell housing bolts and carefully work transmission and converter rearward off engine dowels and disengage converter hub from end of crankshaft.

WARNING
Attach a small C-clamp to edge of bell housing to hold converter in place during transmission removal; otherwise the front pump bushing might be damaged. Install transmission and converter as an assembly. The drive plate will not support a load. Do not allow the weight of transmission to rest on the plate during installation.

1. Using a jack, position transmission and converter assembly in alignment with engine.

2. Rotate converter so mark on converter (made during removal) will align with the mark on the flexplate. Carefully work the transmission assembly forward over engine block dowels with converter hub entering the crankshaft opening and the flexplate to converter mounts lined up.

3. Install converter housing to engine bolts and tighten them.

4. Install the converter to flexplate bolts.

5. Install the rear crossmember and connect the rear transmission mount if loosened. Install the driveshaft.

6. Connect oil cooler lines, install oil filler tube and connect the speedometer and distance sensor.

7. Connect gearshift cable or rod and torque shaft assembly to the transmission case and to the lever.

8. Connect throttle rod to the lever at left side of transmission bell housing.

9. Connect wire to back-up and neutral staring switch. Connect the converter solenoid (if equipped).

10. Install cover plate in front of the converter assembly. Install the starter motor and engine struts.

11. Lower the vehicle and refill transmission with fluid.

12. Adjust linkage.

Hope this helps

If this helps click accept thanks again David

mndave0002
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer