Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Do you have a printable diagram of 727 transmission ...

Customer Question
Do you have a printable...
Do you have a printable diagram of 727 transmission install guide for 1982 Dodge Ram pick-up-318
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/29/2007
Dodge Mechanic: mndave0002, engineer replied 10 years ago
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer

Welcome to justanswer.com

I can give you the instructioins on this. One thing I do when looking at repair on older models or rare cars is to call the library and have them get me the repair books Or several) on that model (not the general repair for make) and for this I would get the Taransmission book if you are rebuilding it. Then you can get that info and make sure a book is good if you decide to buy it. The number on the back of the book will help you buy the same one you rent for free. here is info let me know if it comes out poor.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Remove the transmission and converter as an assembly; otherwise the converter drive plate pump bushing and oil seal will be damaged. The drive plate will not support a load. Therefore, none of the weight of transmission should be allowed to rest on the plate during removal.

2. Attach a remote control starter switch to the starter solenoid so the engine can be rotated from under the vehicle.

3. Disconnect high tension cable from the ignition coil.

4. Remove cover plate from in front of converter assembly to provide access to the converter drain plug and mounting bolts.

5. Rotate engine to bring drain plug to the 6 o'clock position. Drain the converter and transmission.

A running production change was made in January, 1977 which eliminated the converter drain plug. This means that the transmission must be removed in order to drain the converter on models manufactured after this date.

1. Mark converter and drive plate to aid in reassembly.

2. Rotate the engine with the remote control switch to locate two converter to drive plate bolts located and 5 and 7 o'clock positions. Remove the two bolts, rotate engine again and remove the other two bolts.

WARNING
Do not rotate converter on drive plate by prying with a screwdriver or similar tool as drive plate might become distorted. Also the starter should never be engaged if drive plate is not attached to converter with at least one bolt or if transmission case to engine blockbolts have been loosened.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable. Remove engine to transmission struts, if necessary. You may have to drop the exhaust system on some models.

2. Remove the starter.

3. Remove wire from the neutral starting switch.

4. Remove gearshift cable or rod from the transmission and the lever.

5. Disconnect the throttle rod from left side of transmission.

6. Disconnect the oil cooler lines at transmission and remove the oil filler tube. Disconnect the speedometer cable.

7. Disconnect the driveshaft.

8. Install engine support fixture to hold up the rear of the engine.

9. Raise transmission slightly with jack to relieve load and remove support bracket or crossmember. Remove all bell housing bolts and carefully work transmission and converter rearward off engine dowels and disengage converter hub from end of crankshaft.

WARNING
Attach a small C-clamp to edge of bell housing to hold converter in place during transmission removal; otherwise the front pump bushing might be damaged.

To install:

Install transmission and converter as an assembly. The drive plate will not support a load. Do not allow weight of transmission to rest on the plate during installation.

1. Rotate pump rotors until the rotor lugs are vertical.

2. Carefully slide converter assembly over input shaft and reaction shaft. Make sure converter impeller shaft slots are also vertical and fully engage front pump inner rotor lugs.

3. Use a C-clamp on edge of converter housing to hold converter in place during transmission installation.

4. Converter drive plate should be free of distortion and drive plate to crankshaft bolts tightened to 55 ft. lbs. torque.

5. Using a jack, position transmission and converter assembly in alignment with engine.

6. Rotate converter so mark on converter (made during removal) will align with the mark on the drive plate. The offset holes in plate are located next to the 1/8" hole in inner circle of the plate. A stamped V mark identifies the offset hole in converter front cover. Carefully work transmissio assembly forward over engine block dowels with converter hub entering the crankshaft opening.

7. Install converter housing to engine bolts and tighten to 28 ft. lbs.

8. Install the two lower drive plate to converter bolts and tighten to 270 in. lbs. torque.

9. Install engine to transmission struts, if required. Install starting motor and connect battery ground cable.

10. Rotate engine and install two remaining drive plate to converter bolts.

11. Install crossmember and tighten attaching bolts to 90 ft. lbs. torque. Lower transmission so that extension housing is aligned and rests on the rear mount. Install bolts and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. torque.

12. Remove transmission jack and engine support fixture; then install tie-bars under the transmission.

13. Replace the driveshaft.

14. Connect oil cooler lines, install oil filler tube and connect the speedometer cable.

15. Connect gearshift cable or rod and torque shaft assembly to the transmission case and to the lever.

16. Connect throttle rod to the lever at left side of transmission bell housing.

17. Connect wire to back-up and neutral starting switch.

18. Install cover plate in front of the converter assembly.

19. Refill transmission with fluid.

20. Adjust throttle and shift linkage.

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Troubleshooting Basic Automatic Transmission Problems

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Lockup Torque Converter Service Diagnosis

Fig. 3: Transsmission Fluid Indications

Hope this helpsClick image to see an enlarged view

If this helps click accept thanks again David

mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
I appreciate the detailed info, however, the "view full image" displays come up blank when I click on them. The whole idea was to get a visual of where everything gets hooked back up. The trans is bolted back up but "wookie" isn't quite sure where everything reconnects. I would like to have some pictures of those details. Thanks, Alex.
(NNN) NNN-NNNN(cell)

Hello here is some pictures and a source. Plus when i get to working on these older vehicles I call ahead ot the librbary and have them get me one or tow repair manuals. It is best to get the one for the vehicle you have not the general make one for several years. Also they haev one that is really good (from haynes i think on older auto trannies)

http://www1.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/17/63/21/0900823d80176321/repairInfoPages.htm

kick down diagram

Copyright © 2002 Delmar, All Rights Reserved.

shift linkage

I still don't have pictures of connections to this trans. I have to connect everything up for "wookie" in the morning, and I don't have any visuals of where the connections go. "wookie" has a bad arm and can't do it himself, so I have to do it for him. This is turning complicated. All I wanted was pictures of connections of this transmission, and paid you for them, and I can't seem to get you to get those to me. "I NEED PICTURES OF THE CONNECTIONS TO THIS TRANSMISSION" PLEASE.
I am sorry i could not get a full diagram of this tranny. I did send the kick down diagram and shift linkage but you will probaly need ot go to library to get the book. I dont have one for thsi older tranny and can not find one on the net either.
Every time you keep giving me the same info you gave me the first time. When I click on to the "view full image" parts, there is no image at all. It comes up blank. This is doing me no good. I need something showing actual pictures of the hook-ups to the trans.
mndave0002
mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer