AutoTechGuy
AutoTechGuy, Master Auto Technician / Trainer
Experience:  ASE Master Certification, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certification
5450180

how many quarts of oil does an 06 hemi 5.7l take I have ...

how many quarts of oil does an 06 hemi 5.7l take? I have read that some put five and other put six or seven. Which is it? I plan to start changing my on oil and I want to get this right.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What model is your Dodge?
-Is it a 4 wheel frive?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AutoTechGuy's Post: 06 megacab 4x4 sorry!

Ok, this engine takes 7 quarts with a filter.

Use 5w20 motor oil.

Do not use synthetic oil unless you have at least 30,000 miles or you may cause problems. Even after that you really do not need synthetic oil unless you drive the truck in a particularly harsh environment or under very heavy loads (like towing a very big trailer).

Use a quality name brand like Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, etc.. You can use a different brand between changes but you should not mix different brands together. The difference between the best and the worst performing oils is insignificant (I am talking very insignificant here) it is much more important that you use the proper weight of oil.

You may also find this web site helpful: http://www.wefixittogether.com/?p=4

Thank you again for the question. Please let me know if I can help you further!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you tell me why synthetics can be harmful. I had been reading up on them and was hoping to use one here in the next month or so. They are suppose to deliver better fuel economy and of course less wear on vital engine components. But I only have 17000 miles on the truck and wouldn't want to mess it up.

Hi, the problem with synthetics (for engines not specifically designed for them) is that they can prevent some of the engine parts from seating in to each other; like the piston rings to the cylinder walls.

At 17000 you will probably not cause any harm. I say 30,000 because I want to be extra cautious in this area. I have seen problems with failure to start and oil leaking into the cooling system on very new engines.

Several years ago Consumer Reports did a test on engine oils. They had a fleet of identical vehicles and used several standard, blended, and synthetic oils. They drove the vehicles for 50,000 miles then tore down the engines and inspected the bearings.

They found that synthetic oils did protect better than the standard or blended oils. However, the difference between the worst performing standard oil and the best performing synthetic oil was insignificant.

Now this test only speaks to the oils ability to prevent wear. It does not address the oils ability to hold up under extreme conditions or its ability to flow easily. A synthetic oil will protect the engine better under extreme conditions and it will flow slightly better thus improving fuel economy. Hover, this fuel savings is likely to be insignificant. Especially considering how thin the oil your vehicle calls for is (5w20).

If you really want to use synthetic oil then I would suggest that you wait until 20k then use a blend (semi-synthetic) for two oil changes then move to the synthetic.

This is an overly cautious approach but a new engine is expensive so I like to be very cautious.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry it is taking so long I have in and out of town for the last two days and well getting the net just takes up too much time. I do have one more question or need for advice. What would help with fuel economy if the synthetic oil is insignificant? REally need to know since it was one of my main issues for justifying the more expensive oil. Should I be spending the money some where else on the truck?

Great question, fuel costs are ridiculous these days. Here is what you can do to maximize fuel economy:

Note: None of these in and of themselves will give you a dramatic change. However, the totality of these items will give you the best mileage possible.

Keep the air filter clean. A dirty air filter restricts the airflow into the engine. You might also consider using a K & N air filter. They have a direct replacement for the original equipment filter. These can improve fuel economy (slightly). Note: you need to maintain these properly or they can cause more harm than good. Here is the web site for the K & N filter that fits your truck: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2247

Make sure the air pressure is set at the specification indicated on the drivers door placard. You should check and set air pressure every month.

Use the correct weight of oil. The 5w20 oil will give you better fuel economy than thicker oils.

Finally, the way you drive is the most influential factor in fuel economy. Hard acceleration or driving fast will burn more fuel. Check out this site for more information: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

Thank you again for your question. Please let me know if you need anything else.