Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1994 Dodge Caravan SE: speedometer..gas gauge..van..cruise control

I have a 1994 Dodge...
I have a 1994 Dodge Caravan SE and the speedometer resently quit working. It is an electronically controled unit. As information the gas gauge was not working when I got the van about 10 years ago and the cruise control quit working after a few years. I disconnected the negative side of the battery and removed the instrument cluster for inspection and to make sure the connector was in place and tight. I disconnected the connector and inspected the prongs on the connector and the instrument cluster. All OK. When I re-connected the cluster to the harness the gas and temp. gauges as well as the speedometer went to the highest reading. I connected the battery negative cable and no change. Is there a reset procedure to set or calibrate the normal positions for the gas and temp. gauges as well as the speedometer? Where should I look for the speedometer problem and gas gauge problem? Is it possible the gas gauge cruise control and speedometer are related and if so why? Thanks!
Dave
Relist: No answer yet.
Answered in 1 day by:
8/6/2007
Autotechguru644
Autotechguru644, Auto Service Technician
You turn the ignition on and the gages stayed at max?
Reply to Autotechguru644's Post: I found the problem with the gas gauge at max, I got it back to E but it still is not reading or working at all. The speedometer is the major problem. Since my question was posted, I have done further research. The public library, no help. A parts store and a Carmax mechanic told me the the speed sensor, distance sensor, vehicle speed sensor, (the part is called by all these names) most likely is the problem. They say it is located on the right transaxle extension housing and one even gave me a list showing the same location on a 1994 Caravan but there is no place for mounting a sensor there and obviously no sensor is there either. Just a housing and seal with the shaft. I find it odd that none of the gauges work, temp., gas or the electronic speedometer. As I said in my original statement, the gas gauge was not operating, then the cruise control stopped operating and recently the speedometer stopped operating. I have completely searched all over for any other speed sensors or a place for one. Fact is the speedometer did operate. One friend that worked on dodge transmissions said the sensor could be internal and wired through the selenoid multiplug, who knows. I don't think that would be the case. Even the Chrysler dealers in my area tell me the same things I already have tried. I have worked on cars all my life and this is the first time I have ran into no information or anyone with the knowledge to either send me in the right direction or answer my questions. I guess in comes down to this, the problem is the electronic speedometer quit working and I need to know why and/or how to fix it. It could still be a bad instrument cluster but I can't find out what operates it. An instrument voltage regulator was even mentioned, but where is that? One last bit of information, I was told that the so called Elizabeth Dole stop light bulb or bulbs being out can cause cruise control failure. I have doubts about this one but it could be directly or indirectly a cause for my problem. All three bulbs are burned out. I know, but I am now willing to try anything after a week of looking and researching etc. I have seen much worse engineering ideas. I do not want to spend $75 for a dealer diognstic when they do not know how it works nor $100 for a DRBII to tell me nothing. There is no check engine light after ignition is turned on or ever but I have not checked the bulb so no code flashes have been done as of now. Thats next. So there you have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.This has become a fix it or else project for me.
Dave
The most likely cause for the loss of sped signal is to replace the pinion gear,I will send you the info.on my next post.
Autotechguru644
I have been patient espeacially with myself so far so I can wait a little longer. This a friend of mines Caravan and she doesn't have the money to take it to a dealer so I am trying to help. It is not a total bust to this point, I did repair the starter selenoid, the air conditioning and her gear indicator in the instrument cluster. Pinion gear? Please let me know how the speedometer signal system works and espeacially what sends the signal and through what/how it sends it.Oh yeah, how to change the gear and a cost estimate. Thank you for your time and effort. It is appreciated.
Dave
I'm sorry,let me know what size engine you have,the information I sent you was for a 3.3 liter engine,the 3.0, and 2.5 have different problems.
3.0
Dave
Dave, The information I sent you, is what I have for the 94 Caravan ,3.0 Liter,3.3 Liter engine,the diagram on the speed sensor location,is correct,if you think you have a different transmission,send me the VIN. number.If you see the speed out sensor,follow the instructions,it is not an expensive part.
I must not have gotten your information as per your posting of 12/7 12:16 am you refered to in yor last posting to me. All the infor mation I got was that most likely the loss of the speed signal may be to replace the pinion gear and that you would send me more information on your next posting. If you have sent any more information, I do not have it. Keep in mind that a pinion gear to me has a ring gear to match so I am not sure what you are talking about here. The last posting you made said that the information you sent me is what you have on a 94 Caravan 3.0 and 3.3 liter engine and the diagram on the speed sensor location is correct. I did not recieve a diagram or anymore information after the posting I got about replacing the pinion gear. In the mean time I have been checking all over. There is no place to mount or even a speed sensor at the location that Alldata shows, and that is being mounted on the right transaxle shaft extention housing as per data a friend sent me. I am still stumped. The fact that it was working and now it is not means something has to be sending a signal to it since it is electronic. Question is what and where is it? I will be releasing the payment no matter what I find out from you because time is money but so far my question and/or information is still pending as of today. No one not even the some local Chrysler dealer service managers can tell me from where or how this 94 Caravan speedometer recieves a signal for operation other than what all other data on file shows such as the alldata information. Even though there are diagrams and instructions, so far none has been for this particular Caravan. Let me know about the data you sent. I do appreciate your interest.
Dave
Dave , the pinion gear is behind the speed sensor, here is the info I sent click download.let me know what you find.The info is on page 3.
I understand the pinion gear being refered to. The pinion gear refered to is the speedometer drive gear normally used for cable drive uits. The speed sensor replaces the cable drive for a signal to the electronic speedometer. As I said this Caravan has no sensor there or any pinion gear drive at all. The speedsensor refered to in the diagram has no mounting bolt so the instructions do not match the diagram. It is still useful information and I want to thank you for the information and the effort it took for you to find this. The instructions I have from alldatad is the same as the instruction sheet attached to the information you sent but the diagram with the alldata info shows a sensor with a mounting bolt and the unit being located on the right transaxle extention housing. However there is no mount or sensor on this Caravan's exrtention housing as the alldata illustration shows. It is possible that the Output sensor refered to in your information supplies the signal to the speeometer as well as the information to the control unit to activate the up shift mode for this transmission. I have tested the output sensor you refered to and the test indicates proper operation as far as the transmission operation is concerned. I will trace down that circuit from that output sensor to where ever it leads and go from there.
There is a repair for the speed sensor,and if you can access Alldata you will see it under TSBs.The 3 speed trans,is the same.Let me know how you do.
Autotechguru644
Autotechguru644