Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I drained some excess coolant..radiator..wont close

Customer Question
I drained some excess coolant...
I drained some excess coolant by opening the petcock valve on bottom radiator, and now it wont close??
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dodge
6/2/2007
Dodge Mechanic: Roy Colquitt, Dodge owner/mechanic for 35 years replied 10 years ago
Roy Colquitt
Roy Colquitt, Dodge owner/mechanic for 35 years

Welcome to JA,

It either has some trash stuck in it or it has stripped. I would open it and blow some compressed air into it and see if that will clear it. if not it will have to be replaced.

Roy Colquitt
Reply to Roy Colquitt's Post: My petcock will not screw out. it only turns in a circle the dodge dealer said some way to push it in and turn but thats not working. they also say there is a way to remove the plug and check the rings inside but I cant get it out.

It sounds like the t knob has broken loose from the spout. If that is the case there should be a nut behind it you can use a wrench on to turn the whole thing out to replace it.

Reply to Roy Colquitt's Post: The t knob is like new. the truck is a pampered 2004 the valve is like new it seems like a 4 position valve as you can turn it in as many 360s as you want. it is not threaded.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Dodge?
-What model is your Dodge?
-How many miles are on your Dodge?
-What type of engine is in your Dodge?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Well I told you what I tried, its a 2004 ram 2500 quad cab diesel with 41000 miles

Which one of these does yours look like?

Radiator Drain Plug Operation:
A small plug, normally on the bottom of the radiator tank, used for draining coolant and water. It's also known as a drain petcock.

looks like the black one I tried pulling to remove but no luck. I figure if I can get it out I will be able to reset bushing if nrssasary.

If it is like the black one it is locked from the inside with a couple of plastic ears. It will have to be forcibly removed and the new one will just push in and lock.

ive been pulling with vice grips it wont come out. if it does come out then it is garbage I guess or can I still use it.
Once it comes out it is garbage. You will have to purchase a new one.
Problem solved I finally yanked and got a new one. Thanks for your help..
Glad to here it and thank you.
Roy Colquitt
Roy Colquitt