Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Red light on dash is blinking and it wont start for 2003 ram 1500.

Customer Question
red light on dash is...
red light on dash is blinking and it won't start for 2003 ram 1500.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dodge
4/20/2007
Dodge Mechanic: vipertech763, automotive technician replied 10 years ago
vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Good evening. Are you using a gray colored key ?
Reply to vipertech763's Post: no
no is same key when on brought the truck new
The blinking red light on the dash is what they call the SKIM system light. The SKIM system uses a special gray colored key that has a build in chip that allows the vehicle to start. This way the vehicle can not be started without the correct key. Have you done anything resently such as any repairs to the vehicle as well?
no repairs but i sometimes i will use the spare key
If you give me the VIN number of the vehicle I can check the build configuration and see what the vehicle is equiped with. This way I can make sure of what it has inorder to help you.
before i give the vin number i want to know why the battery won't chage
What makes you thing the battery is not charging? Is the guage on the dash not showing it to be charging or have you checked the charging system with the engine running and the voltage is low. If you have checked the voltage then what was the voltage reading you were getting. Was this problem occuring right before the no-start issue? Because from what you are saying it isnt running right now so I assume you had this problem before.
i told my brother that it wouldn't start so he tought it was the battery he gave me the charger and it wouldn't charger

You may have a problem with the charger as far as we know. The fastest way to check the battery is to use a volt meter and see if you have 12 volts or more. Your issue is the blinking SXXXXX XXXXXght that is causing the vehicle to not start. Now about the no start. Are you saying that the starter isnt even turning the engine over or that it turns over but never starts running. The SKIM system is designed so that if the wrong key is used, the engine will start and run for about 3 seconds then cut off. This will happen up to 3 times and then the system will disable the starter. Please if you can, discribe in detail the eaxact issue you are having and if possible please send the VIN number so that I can make sure it doesnt have SKIM.

Reply to vipertech763's Post: the vin number is XXXXX i went out to start my truck the this morning for work and i open the door put key in and turn it on and the red light start blinking and it wouldn't start by the way i am felicia
Felicia, I ran the VIN and the vehicle does not have the SKIM system. Did the engine attempt to turn over when turning the key? This question is important, so I need to know. Another item you can check is turn the headlamps on and see if they light so that I can be sure we have battery power. By the way my name is David.
daivd i went turn on the head lights on and no head lights and the red light is still blinking

Okay , it sounds like the battery may be dead. It may only have enough power to cause the light to blink. Other items you can check to be sure is to see if the interior lamps come on when opening the door, does the radio work with the key on, does the horn sound and if so does i sound normal. These 3 items are not related so if they all 3 are not working properly then the battery is most likely dead. This could explain why the battery charger is not working correctly. If the battery is bad and not just dead, the charger will never be able to charge it. If the above 3 items dont work then I would recommend taking the battery out and having your local parts store such as auto zone check it for free. And if need be replace the battery. If you have access to a pair of jumper cables you could hook up to your vehicle and see if the headlamps now work as well as the other items. Then hyou could actualy try to start it. If the battery is truely bad, it may be difficult to start even when jumping it. Try these items and follow the directions I gave if the 3 items are having issues. Let me know what you find. I am on the east coast and its 12:45 am here and its way past my bed time. I am going to have to check for your reply tommorrow when I get the chance. Keep in mind that the battery could have gone bad because it is old or has internal problems or the battery could be dead because of leaving the headlamps on or the inside lights on. Just let me know what you find Felicia and I will check back tommorrow. Good night.

daivd it is my bed time too so i will have to do the three quest things tomorrow after i get home from work but the battery look pretty hard to get out for me
Just keep me informed. Have a great weekend.
vipertech763
vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician