Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

1997 dodge caravan: The fan blower does not work on the 3 low speeds

Customer Question

1997 dodge caravan. The fan blower does not work on the 3 low speeds. 2 fast speeds work. Changing the switch and circuit board did not fix it. Could it be the motor? Or the resistor? Fuse to the low speeds? What shoudl I check to find the problem?
Thanks conrad
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 10 years ago.

More than likely the blower resistor is bad. Following is the procedure for replacing it. Once you get it out you can look and see if any of the wire coils are burnt.

graphic

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I appreciated the quick response last week.Toaday was the first chance I had to work on the van. I am having trouble finding the exact location of the main blower fan resistor.
i looked below the wiper module in the engine compartment. There is a plug in the firewall with 5 or so wires to it. But it looks like it is riveted in place. Is this the resistor? Or is it under the cover of the wiper assembly?
The manual have makes the resistor look different than what I see.
Thanks conrad

I believe that is it, the rivots may be whats holding the resistor coils to the mount. can you stick a screwdriver in between it and the firewall and pop it out like the instructions say?

In the meantime i will try to find a picture of it.

I'm sure that is what it is,,here is the wiring diagram with 5 wires going to it.

graphic

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I could get a screwdriver under it and have pulled it away 3/4 in out. I cannot seem to get it off out of the firewall hole.
I have it disconnected and the fan still runs on the 2 high speeds. Is this correct?
My partner neede to go to the doctor. So I won't be able to work on it for another hour or so.   
Thanks conrad
Does it have the same color wires as the diagram?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: The car is gone right now but i remember that it looked similar in colors as to the diagram. I could see the coils but cannot pull it out from the firewall. it ishung up on something.    But according to the diagram the high speed might work if it is unplugged but not the other 4 speeds. the 2 higher speeds are working with it unplugged from the resistor.
I will be able to check it out when the car returns. Thanks so far been a good ehlp.   Conrad

Your welcome,

It may be that one of the coils is broken and keeping it from coming out.