Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

97 dodge stratus: the fuel pump..easiest way..replacing..1997 Dodge

Customer Question
I have a 97 dodge...
I have a 97 dodge stratus and i need to replace the fuel pump in it. I need to know the easiest way to replacing the old pump with the new. How do you replace the fuel pump in a 1997 Dodge Stratus?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/17/2006
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 11 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

Not an easy Job:

The fuel pump is serviced as part of the fuel pump module. The fuel pump module is installed in the top of the fuel tank and contains the electric fuel pump, fuel pump reservoir, inlet strainer fuel gauge sending unit, fuel supply and return line connections and the pressure regulator. The inlet strainer, fuel pressure regulator and level sensor are the only serviceable items. If the fuel pump requires service, replace the fuel pump module.

CAUTION:

Fuel injection systems remain under pressure, even after the engine has been turned OFF. The fuel system pressure MUST be relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire and/or personal injury.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the left strut tower. The ground cable is equipped with an insulator grommet which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.

2. Remove the fuel filler cap and relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined earlier in this procedure.

3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

4. Drain and remove the fuel tank, as outlined under the Tank Assembly removal and installation procedure, later in this section.

1. Clean the top of the tank to remove any loose dirt.

2. Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump module by depressing the quick-connect retainers with your thumb and forefinger.

3. Using special tool 6856 (Fuel Pump Module Ring Spanner) or equivalent, remove the fuel pump lock ring.
      Click image to see an enlarged view

1. Remove the fuel pump and O-ring seal from the tank. Discard the old O-ring seal.
        Click image to see an enlarged view

To install:

1. Thoroughly clean all parts. Wipe the seal area of the tank clean. Place a new O-ring on the ledge between the tank threads and the pump module opening.

2. Position the fuel pump module in the tank. Make sure the alignment tab on the underside of the pump module flange sits in the corresponding notch in the fuel tank.

3. While holding the fuel pump module in place, install the locking ring and tighten to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm), using special tool 6856 or an equivalent spanner-type tool.

1. Install a new fuel filter.

2. Raise and install the fuel tank assembly, as described later in this section.

3. Carefully lower the vehicle.

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Refill the fuel tank with clean fuel. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position to pressurize the system. Check the fuel system for leaks.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch