Digital Cameras

Digital Camera Repair Questions? Ask a Camera Expert.

Digital Cameras

My computer is not recognizing my "SIM" card when I place it

Customer Question
in? How do I download...
My computer is not recognizing my "SIM" card when I place it in? How do I download pics from my camera to computer?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Digital Cameras
2/26/2012
Digital Camera Technician: Readyrmca, Technician replied 5 years ago
Readyrmca
Readyrmca, Technician

Readyrmca :

How are you trying to access the card when you install it directly into your computer. Do you normally just make a selection from the autorun window that pops up?

Customer:

Hi there, there is no window that pops up. I wonder if I need to make sure I installed the software?

Readyrmca :

Connect the card directly to the computer, then go to start>my computer>let me know what the drive letters are of all removable disks that show up there. for example. Removable disk E:. etc

Customer:

ok

Customer:

DVD RAM drive E:

Customer:

that is all

Customer:

I found the disc/software, am going to try to remember how to find out if I have downloaded it before. This may be an easy fix.

Customer:

It seems to be a user guide only, upon further inspection. I am going to go and check if there is another. BTW, are you still there?

Readyrmca :

I am

Readyrmca :

Sorry I stepped away for just a sec, but I'm still with you

Readyrmca :

The software should be optional and not required for transfer. One more thing to check, sometimes there's a tiny switch on the cards that is a write protect switch. If this switch is in the locked or on position, then that could cause your issue as well.

Readyrmca :

Check the card to see if it has one of these switches and what position it's in.

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX card out now

Customer:

switching the tiny switch setting to see if it helps, re submitting disc

Customer:

Nothing changes...? I do hear my computer recognize the device (the beep sound like when I put a usb in), but now window appears.

Readyrmca :

Go back to my computer to see if you have another removable disk there now that wasn't there before

Customer:

ok

Readyrmca :

It should be F:

Customer:

nope

Readyrmca :

You may have to give it a few seconds to show up there. Back out of my computer and open it again. Try another USB port as well. If you are on a desktop computer try a port on the back of the computer, not the fron

Readyrmca :

front

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I am sorry, but the recheck my computer did not work, and I only see one port in which the card will fit, in the front of the laptop.

Readyrmca :

That would require putting the card back in your camera obviously to try a different USB port. Just make sure that the camera is powered on and in the playback mode as if you were going to review the pictures

Customer:

heehee ok.

Readyrmca :

Once you have the card re-installed in your camera, you may also want to try reviewing the pictures on the camera screen just to make sure that they are indeed there and the camera can read them off of the card.

Customer:

ok, need couple of minutes.

Readyrmca :

No problem.

Readyrmca :

One more quesiton about your laptop. What operating system are you running and was the computer bought originally with this operating system or was it upgraded.

Customer:

Not sure about the upgrade, but I operate using Windows XP. I am all "plugged in" but can't seem to figure out how to view pics on computer.

Customer:

I do not understand why a camera window doesn't appear.... on my old desktop computer I seem to remember a window popped up and it was self explanatory. Is it possible this camera cannot be read by this computer?

Readyrmca :

That's not very likely. It sounds like you have an issue with the memory card itself. Even with the camera connected via USB, you should be able to go to my computer and see the memory card as a removable disk there.

Customer:

hmmm. I unlocked the memory card...let me recheck my computer...

Customer:

Still says only removable storage is "E".

Readyrmca :

If you disconnect the camera from the computer, you can still view all the pictures on the card using the camera's preview monitor correct?

Customer:

Let me check, I seem to be having a problem.

Readyrmca :

No problem. I'll be right here for you .

Customer:

ok this is dumb, but how do I review them? No longer seems to be working.

Customer:

As a matter of fact, nothing on the camera is currently responding. ugh

Readyrmca :

Ok. this is most likely due to the memory card. remove the card from the camera, and try powering it on without the memory card installed.

Customer:

ok

Readyrmca :

The batteries are charged aren't they.

Readyrmca :

Just want to make sure

Customer:

powers on fine, says there is no memory card.

Readyrmca :

Re-install the card and try again.

Customer:

Yes, batteries are newly charged...good question :)

Customer:

ok

Customer:

powers on, displays last pic taken (sim card was full), no other repsonse. I cannot delete or view pics.

Customer:

Or see menu, etc

Readyrmca :

The card is definitely corrupted somehow. You will have to replace the card. As for the pictures that are currently on the card, if they are terribly important, then you have the option of sending it in to a data recovery specialist to have to data recovered from the card, but that will be quite expensive.

Customer:

Nah, just sad...lost photo memories, sad.

Customer:

How do I replace the card? I leave for London in two days

Readyrmca :

If we could just get windows to recognize the card, then there might be something we could do to repair the file structure of the card, but if windows won't recognize it, then there's not much more we can do for it without having specialized software and resources that neither you nor I have.

Readyrmca :

What is the model number of your camera and I'll find you a cad for it that you can pick up locally.

Customer:

I can save the card, and try it on a different computer? Model # XXXXX camera is Canon PowershotA1300IS (image stabilizer).

Customer:

thanks!

Readyrmca :

If you want to look into how much it will cost to have the data recovered I'll be more than happy to recommend someone for you. The best part about it is if they cannot recover your data you don't have to pay, so that works out well.

Customer:

Yes, please I would like to know the cost. I can also try the card on a friend's Mac..see what happens.

Customer:

If you need time to research you are welcome to email it to me.

Readyrmca :

That would be worth a shot. Sometimes the Mac can do things that a PC cannot when it comes to reading data. Is that camera an A3100IS instead of 1300

Customer:

Silly me. You are right, I reversed the numbers. I am planning to buy a Mac, so glad.

Readyrmca :

It's ok. Not a problem. I tend to do that sometimes as well. You can use pretty much any SD, SDHC, or SDXC card up to 16GB in your camera

Customer:

uhuh, that is Greek to me. I can write it down...where does one find such an animal?

Readyrmca :

So I would just go to walmart and get a San Disk 16GB SD card and that should be fine for you.

Customer:

okeydokey thanks

Customer:

I will give it a shot, and hope it works!

Readyrmca :

Any card up to 16GB is compatible with your camera.

Readyrmca :

Just a sec and I'll get you the information on a data recovery service.

Customer:

ok

Readyrmca :

Here's a good one for you. They actually have pretty good pricing as well. Data recovery Service

Customer:

just type in that as the URL?

Readyrmca :

Sorry there wasn't more that I could do to get these pictures for you. Let me know if there's anything else that I can do to assist you. Please don't forget to accept and leave positive feedback if I've been helpful. Thanks. You can just click the link in blue and it will open a new window for you with the webpage

Customer:

No worries, thanks for your help.

Customer:

Have a nice day.

Readyrmca :

I'll be here when you need me. If you would like to contact me directly you can click this link. Readyrmca Save it to favorites for quick access and I'll help any way that I can.

Customer:

ok thx

Readyrmca
Readyrmca, Technician
Readyrmca
Readyrmca
Readyrmca, Technician