Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been trying to find effective ways to lighten my

Customer Question
intimate areas, but because that...
I have been trying to find effective ways to lighten my intimate areas, but because that area is sensitive I have been skeptical of certain products and methods.
The goal is to lightens areas like buttocks, inner thighs, Vag and anal area.
So far I’ve tried a gycolic acid peel on my rare and coconut oil to keep it from being dry.
If anyone can suggest or recommend a safe way to lighten all four of these areas that would be great.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
6/1/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified Dermatologist

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your health concern.

I am reviewing your question now and will get back to you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having this concern.

The best approach of going about this is to see a dermatologist to get a prescription for prescription strength skin lightening creams which are very effective.

The most widely used ingredient in skin lighteners sold is hydroquinone. The FDA in the United States regulates the use of hydroquinone and over-the-counter lighteners can contain up to 2% hydroquinone. However, dermatologists can write prescriptions for skin lighteners that contain 4%-6% hydroquinone so that is more effective.

If you would like to try just over-the-counter products, Melaquin PM in combination with Melapads has been shown to be effective as well.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any, then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. But if you don't feel that I have, please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me, I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on.