Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been very insecure lately about the darkness in my…

Customer Question
I have been very insecure...
I have been very insecure lately about the darkness in my inner thighs, anal area and vagina and was looking for the best treatment.
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Dermatology
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
far i've attempted to use chemical peels like glycol acid and tried keep in the areas moisturized with coconut oil
6/1/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 20 days ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified Dermatologist

Hello, my name is*****

I am sorry you are having this concern.

The best approach of going about this issue is to see a dermatologist to get a prescription for prescription strength skin lightening creams which are very effective.

The most widely used ingredient in skin lighteners is hydroquinone. The FDA in the United States regulates the use of hydroquinone and over-the-counter lighteners can contain up to 2% hydroquinone. However, dermatologists can write prescriptions for skin lighteners that contain 4%-6% hydroquinone so that is more effective.

If you would like to try just over-the-counter products, Melaquin PM in combination with Melapads has been shown to be effective as well.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any, then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. But if you don't feel that I have, please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me, I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on.