Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having a recurring issue with itching and it's has been…

Customer Question
Hello, I am having a...
Hello, I am having a recurring issue with itching and it's has been getting out of hand. I don't have any rashes, the itching shows up in random places and continues for days.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
5/30/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon replied 2 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Were any investigations done for itching?

What are the places which are commonly involved?

Are you on any medications, herbs, supplements?

I have spoken with my general physician, who diagnosed me with GERD and says that my itching may be related, but I need relief from it. I have also seen my OBGYN and mentioned it to him, he prescribed a methylprednisone dose pack that I took for 6 days. The itching did not subside until the last day of the dose pack, which was about 3 or 4 days ago, and yesterday the itching returned in another spot. Prior to the dose pack, the itching was in my upper left thigh area, now it's in my lower right leg.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

I have been taking Opti Women's Multivitamin, and magnesium supplements. I have been slacking on them lately.

Your supplements can be responsible for the itching.

You may need to get the following investigations for the itching;

a) Complete blood counts

b) Total eosinophil count

c) Vacuolated eosinophil count

d) Liver functions test especially serum bilirubin

e) kidney function tests (blood urea and serum creatinine).

The general causes of itching are if scabies (which is one of the commonest and I am sure had been ruled out in your case by your doctor) is excluded;

1) Dry skin; happens in winter months; baby Johnson oil or any moisturizer would help.

2) Skin allergy

3) Kidney, liver disease (then it is termed as pruritus); investigations would be needed to ascertain it. Please read the causes of itching in this authentic resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/itchy-skin/DS00847/DSECTION=causes

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Ok thank you

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.