Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have jock itch, none of the anti fungal creams have worked…

Customer Question
I have jock itch...

I have jock itch, none of the anti fungal creams have worked or sprays have worked

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?

Itching rash, weeping and wet red

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

I use curash to keep dry, but nothing makes it worse or better

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
5/30/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified Dermatologist

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to help with your health concern.

I am sorry that you are having symptoms.

Jock itch is usually caused a yeast/ fungal infection (usually treated with an antifungal cream such as clotrimazole in combination with a steroid cream such as hydrocortisone 1% cream twice daily for at least 4 weeks). Some factors can cause treatment failure such as incomplete treatment, treatment resistance, coexisting dermatitis, etc...

But jock itch may also be caused by a bacterial skin infection, which is not very common, but is something that needs to be considered especially if your infection has not gone away despite trying different over-the-counter treatments. This will need to be treated with antibiotics.

I recommend that you get an evaluation with your primary doctor to rule out the above, and so you can get some relief.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any, then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. But if you don't feel that I have, please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me, I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on.

Thank you and I wish you all the best.