Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My skin hurts within about 4 minutes of direct sun exposure.

Customer Question
My skin hurts within...

My skin hurts within about 4 minutes of direct sun exposure. This happens about 85% of the time but not every time. There are never any lesions, rashes or hives, just pain. There is no sunburn either. With prolonged exposure, I burn, but the pain starts instantly. There is no pain when in the shade of any kind.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

About 10 years. no changes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dermatology
5/29/2018
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 2 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

what meds do you take?

none

You probably have a severe sun allergy

have you always been like this?

no, not always. I have no other symptoms of a sun allergy. No rash, no hives, no blisters, no lesions, no peeling no visible reaction,
as stated in my original post. it is just pain. almost instantly in direct sunlight

I understand but I believe it is another for of allergy

Do you have any further information you can provide?

there is really nothing else it could be

I suppose some type of nerve inflammation but doubt it

It is very weird. I have never heard of anything like this before

My best guess based on experience as a physician and knowledge is some type of allergy

is this helpful?

no, this has not been helpful, and provided no information beyond what I've already been able to find on google. Thank you anyway.

I will opt out for another physician

Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

this is Dr. David

you should ask your doctors for genetic tesitng for mutation of the XPC gene

and to check if you have a condition called xerostomia pigmentosa

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/xeroderma-pigmentosum#genes

Does this occur in African Americans? I am African American, and no one else in my family has such an issue.