Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

My doctors will not give me a straight answer. I had a PPD…

Customer Question
My doctors will not...

My doctors will not give me a straight answer. I had a PPD test, tested negative, and then six days after the PPD was placed the injection site became red, swollen and painful. The doctor would not give me a straight answer as to whether it was an allergic reaction or, according to her, the test could have been "placed wrong." I have had many PPD tests before and this has never happened. The weird thing is the doctor could have just asked the medical assistant (the one who placed the PPD) if he placed it wrong... Yet the doctor did not and did not give me a straight answer. My partner thought the doctor was attempting to hide something.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Three days and it has not gone down. No recent injuries. I did experience shortness of breath on days 4-6, as the arm started to get redder, but I did not know if the two experiences were related at all. No history of any anxiety, asthma, or other pulmonary issues.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope! I am a very healthy person so just felt it prudent to make sure with my Dr that nothing was wrong with this weird arm thing. It was very strange how the doctor responded to me, and the medical assistant who is normally very nice when I am checked in was instead short with me this morning. It was all a troubling experience to what I felt like should have been an easy checkup.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dermatology
5/29/2018
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 26 days ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

6 days after the PPD is not a reaction to the PPD.

it was a secondary infection after the PPD

the PPD was not placed wrong

you just got an infection in the area

this doesn't mean you have TB.